News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Stan the Man's Flies

Started by shanksi, August 03, 2009, 04:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shanksi

Right guys the chance you've all been waiting for.  Stan the Man is selling his own flies on FFF for ?1.50 a time.  Wonder if we all club together we could get a bilk discount from him. :shock:

Ian

Wildfisher

1.50 does seem expensive when compared to third world child slave labour pricing, but unless you can get 1.00  for  a fly it's probably not worth while tying. Even at  that the potential earnings are probably lower than minimum wage unless you are tying very simple flies

Pearly Invicta

I agree. I recently ordered ?50 worth of flees from caithness quality flies. Superb quality flies but he must tie bloomin fast to make it worthwhile at ?1.20 a fly. Particularly since he dies some of the materials himself and uses first rate hooks. How many can he tie in an hour?

Wildfisher

Quote from: zoomer on August 03, 2009, 08:05:29 PM
perhaps the guide business is a bit lean.

even  guide business run by knowledgeable locals?   :D

garryh

that is a fair price for a mans labour .if i needed to buy flies i would buy these because he may not be everyones cup of tea  but i can assure you he is one of the best fly tiers i have ever seen.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Wildfisher

Quote from: garryh on August 03, 2009, 09:48:58 PM
that is a fair price for a mans labour .if i needed to buy flies i would buy these because he may not be everyones cup of tea  but i can assure you he is one of the best fly tiers i have ever seen.

Agreed. Stan is not everyone's cup of tea, but that is irrelevant. He is a noted, superb, innovative tier of Scottish loch flies. I would buy his flies if I needed them - no not a box full - but some of his special patterns. I won't, not because of Stan, but because they are of little  use to me.

I have  just had a look at the thread about  this on the FFF.  :roll:  'nuf said.

superscot

Some carry on all over flees ......if they dinny want them why kick up a fuss about the price ...

superscot

Quote.Graham 30 p you said correct me if i,m wrong but did you not buy some for a lot more than that in a recent trip to Caithness 
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sandyborthwick

IMHO best flies are in the Forum Swaps. Lots of variety, different styles, special patterns, and all at the cost of tying a few of your own patterns :8).

Sandy B.O.

River Chatter

Agree totally. The last swap I got involved in was great, so I'd rather do this than buy them. Can't remember the last fly I bought actually, it was years ago!

Go To Front Page