News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

DHE versus CDC and elk

Started by col, October 27, 2009, 08:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

Both flies have caught me a lot of fish. However I think of the CDC and elk as a unique type of fly but the DHE as one of a group of sunk abdomen flies which look identical except for the winging material. I've used CDC, snow shoe and crinkly synthetic winging material in addition to deer hair with good effect. The deer hair variant happens to have a name.

I think in terms of profile and size then colour when it comes to dry flies and don't mind too much what materials I use to get that effect.   
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

rabbitangler

Quote from: col on October 28, 2009, 10:17:39 PM
So the general concensus is that the dhe is a good fly as long as you dont use the deer hair and replace it with another material. :crap  :lol:

Col

Snowshoe is better (IMHO) for 14-18 flies, the 10's & 12's can stand the deer hair

Part-time

This is the first season that I've used the CDC&Elk and it was the most successful dry fly for me on lochs.
As well as fishing it as a dry fly proper it also worked well on the top dropper when pulling wet flies; its buoyant enough to pop up to the surface even after its been retrieved underwater.
I agree its a bit high maintenance (I could only manage 2 or 3 fish before needing to change it) but after half hour or so drying out on a fly patch it was usually fine.

Not done so well with the DHE, particularly on lochs, and I find it more difficult to tie compared to CDC/Elk. When I try rivers and burns I prefer CDC emerger/F Fly or Klinks.

Amadan

I note the comments re CDC getting fish slimed. Probably not news to all the experienced guys by John Tyzack showed me a way of cleaning them up pretty quick after that- do a bit of a cast (away from where you are fishing) and strip the fly through the water fast (so maybe cast downstream and strip back up) a couple of times- seems to work ok.

I spent last night with awful eyes having tried to do some DHEs at the vice so am definitely in favour of the ABDHE :)

Have yet to try the CDC and Elks.

Martin

haresear

Amadan, if you can get some McFlylon, it works very well as a deer hair substitute - and it doesn't break.

Your tip about stripping the fly through the current to remove slime is exactly what I do. A good tip that I never thought of mentioning. These wee points are what make a big difference to your fishing.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Harpo

Hi folks,

Anyone got a SBS or photo of the CDC/Elk - sounds like a good flee.

Per Col's note above I water tested some of my DHE's that I have tied.......whoops :(

paulr

Amadan

I'll get some McFlylon then.... thanks for the tip.

Go To Front Page