News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Any advice for a novice tyer?

Started by Guddler, October 27, 2009, 08:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guddler

After laying out the princely sum of ?2.73 for an assortment of fly tying bits and bobs in an ebay auction I'm champing at the bit for it to arrive so I can introduce myself to this dark art.

[attachimg=1]

I'm sure that half the stuff will turn out to be nae use but it should at least let me have a go and see if I can make anything of it. I've been trawling around the fly tying section and following some of the links provided - you all make it look so easy but I'm damned sure its not!
So, where should an absolute novice start? Are there any patterns that I should try or am I better to just play around with hooks and thread and fur and feathers to see if I can manage some of the basic skills needed? Any advice gratefully accepted.

haresear

I have a cheek to give advice, as I'm sure any real tyers who have seen my motley collection will agree.

I would try something palmered like a Zulu. You are likely to have all the ingredients...and it catches fish. It will teach you proportion, hackling and ribbing. Black pennel would be another good option if there are pheasant tippets in the kit. If not, just tie a black spider.

Just read bordertroot's reply. Great minds think alike :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

rabbitangler

Best thing to do is find someone who ties flies locally & ask for help. If you are near a fly dressers guild thats as good a place as any. Otherwise there are some good step by steps on the forum. If I could suggest one starting point it would be to practice how to whip finish till you can almost do it in your sleep, that way you can finish a fly well without tears and without it falling to bits.

Peter

Wildfisher

Some good advice there Guddler. Have a go, fly tying is not rocket science, anyone can do  it, and while we won't all become  Davie McPhails once  the basics are under your belt you will be able to tie just about anything. IMO fly tying is part of being a successful fly fisher.

River Chatter

I'd add basic buzzers (thread wire body and peacock herl thorax) and copper wire pheasant tail nymphs to the beginners list. You'll be able to tie quite a few at very low cost and see your progress in terms of proportion, ribbing and finishing improving as you go. You can always strip the fluff from your early efforts too and re-use the hooks to save cash. Good luck and don't be upset if your first efforts aren't pleasing to the eye, it takes a wee while. The trout won't mind anyway.  :)

Inchlaggan

I certainly do not attain the standards of other forum members, so I'll refrain from actual tying tips.
Some general thoughts.
A well lit area- I use an old anglepoise lamp.
A white card set up behind the hook will help you see the details- and the errors!.
An old shoe box on your lap will catch most of the trimmings and avoid domestic disputes.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Guddler

Thanks guys - this is just the sort of stuff I was hoping for. Hopefully it will cut out a few of the pitfalls for me along the way.

I was pretty surprised to pay only a pittance for the tying gear- I did bid far more than that but got it for a song. Still, it hasn't arrived yet so it may be no bargain at all if it's left stranded in a Royal Mail depot somewhere in Middle England.  :lol:
I think I'm too set on the idea now and I'd have to go ahead and kit myself out even if this doesn't turn up.

An old mate from my schooldays is a tyer of some repute in these parts so I'll look him up and see if he can help out with a lesson over the winter.

paulr

Once you learn the basics there will be no stopping you!
Don't feel that you have to stick to recognised patterns either,nothing is set in stone.Just experiment and tie whatever you think will catch fish in your area.
Oh aye- and this hobby will cost you a fortune!!  :)

cheers

Paul

Malcolm

Remember - no matter how scruffy your flies are they will catch fish. So assuming you are tying flies for fishing rather than art, don't get too caught up making sure everything is "just so".

Unkempt flies are better fish catchers than perfect examples of the fly dressers art in my humble view. :crap
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

Quote from: piscatus absentis on October 28, 2009, 07:21:42 PM
If anyone looks at your box the scruffy ones were given to you by Fred, Alex, Malcolm or whoever.  The best ones are your own.

There's many a true word spoken in jest...

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page