News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Grayling Stravaig Flees

Started by River Chatter, November 11, 2009, 01:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

River Chatter

I'm gonna take a wee trip to GAC later today or tomorrow to pick up some materials for the grayling flies I'll need for the Tay stravaig... but what to buy? I've decided to start my grayling fly collection from scratch cos I've never had much faith in the patterns I've used in the past, many of which I tied over ten years ago and I'm fed up looking at in my box. I've got shrimps, weighted PTNs, Sawyers bugs and so on.  I'm after something different - more modern. So any suggestions to help me with my fresh start?

paulr

If you want to get down with today's metrosexual grayling anglers then Glister Sparkle Dubbing is what you need. Pink is a must have,olive is good too I believe.
Paolo  :gay4

River Chatter

Quote from: paulr on November 11, 2009, 01:54:42 PM
If you want to get down with today's metrosexual grayling anglers then Glister Sparkle Dubbing is what you need. Pink is a must have,olive is good too I believe.
Paolo  :gay4

Is that with or without guyliner instead of head cement Paul?  :lol:

paulr

"Guyliner", ha that's a new one to me, and I'm fairly in touch with my feminine side.

Nah, Sally Hansen Hard as Nails, just don't be tempted to see how it looks on your toenails.........

River Chatter

Bit of a neck buying pink SLF from GAC! Just need to bite the bullet I suppose. What else?

paulr

Some manly tungsten beads and lead wire to balance out the thuper pink fluffy thtuff.

River Chatter

I've got loads of wine bottle lead, which will be useful. Was looking at tungsten-beads.co.uk that's been recommended on this forum, but there's no mention of bead size to hook size. Does it depend on the brand of hook then? I'll be tying a range of grayling flies from say 16s to 12s probably.

Clan Ford

A size 6 with 3 x 4mm tungsten beads and a bit of pink glister does the job for me :shock: :lol:

Norm

burnie

SIZE 6!!! bloody hell don't think I've ever gone bigger than a 14 for Grayling,all of a sudden I'm feeling puny for the first time in my life :8)

Go To Front Page