News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Grayling Stravaig Flees

Started by River Chatter, November 11, 2009, 01:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

River Chatter

Bloody Hell Norm, those bombs look lethal.  I can see the sense, but I don't think I'd enjoy using them. Thanks for the advice guys. Seems there's no getting away from pink fluff for the ladies. What about fly patterns... Czech nymphs, peeping caddis and PTNs good enough then?

haresear

Quote from: River Chatter on November 11, 2009, 10:32:55 PM
Bloody Hell Norm, those bombs look lethal.  I can see the sense, but I don't think I'd enjoy using them. Thanks for the advice guys. Seems there's no getting away from pink fluff for the ladies. What about fly patterns... Czech nymphs, peeping caddis and PTNs good enough then?

That should about cover it, RC. Some bright glitzy stuff and some more subdued natural looking patterns, like rhyacophila and hare and copper, or similar.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Harpo

Remember though RC you will need the weight that the guys mention, I fished the Tweed last year with single Tungsten bead Nymphs and they weren't heavy enough....had to get the swan shot out :shock:

We weren't really casting but lobbing in a Czech stylee

Have fun though & mind yer hard hat!

Stuart 

River Chatter

Hi Buzz, I couldn't in good conscience say I'm struggling... I am after some inspiration tho to motivate a few sessions at the vice.  My goal is a box full of new-to-me grayling flees.  How about a couple of macro shots of your fav grayling flees?

River Chatter

Quote from: buzz on November 12, 2009, 12:14:48 PM
Sure  i will post some of my wee nymphs tonight.
I will leave the Czech nymphs to someone who does that more than my half dozen times a year
Be prepaired to be entirely underwhelmed.

Look forward to it!  :8)

Malcolm

My experience of Tay grayling is that it's hard work getting the fly down to them if they are hard on the bottom. The river is just so powerful and deep in places. I've had to resort to ultra light long leaders a very long lead and very heavy flies indeed. I don't know the Newtyle beat though.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

River Chatter

Quote from: Malcolm on November 12, 2009, 03:28:02 PM
...I don't know the Newtyle beat though.

Me neither Malcolm. Is the Newtyle beat a trib of the main river?

Clan Ford

Newtyle is not a trib - it's a beat of the main river just below Dunkeld.  The Tay is pretty big around there....

Norm

haresear

Quote from: bordertroot on November 13, 2009, 12:07:31 AM
Buzz
Thats 3 reels and 2 rods in your grayling pics  :D :D
Tackle tart  :?
Bob

It's just the one grayling though... :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

River Chatter

Thanks for your hard work uploading these photos Buzz, they're great! Loads of ideas for me there.  :D

Go To Front Page