News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

My first attempt

Started by scotty9, November 13, 2009, 10:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty9

Well i went over the the milngavie fly dressers last night ans tied my very first fly, a lovely scruffy bibio! Actually made two but i think this one came out best. I actually quite enjoyed it, going to give tying a fair chance. The only real reason being i like the idea of being able to whip up what i want or replace stocks without having to drive into glasgow or phone up someone and beg nicely!

Alberto, i do have a vice! I remember Alan gave me one, completely forgot about that!  :)

scotty9

There's been a slight bend in the events here, thie above was infact my second. The true first is this one:

Anybody care to do some lightening? I should really learn how to use photo editing software :D

Mark, wets pffff. I have to learn the techniques first  :8)

Thanks for all the comments guys, hopefully i'll get into all this tying mallarky. Also a big thanks to Martin for giving me tuition, letting me use his stuff etc. Not sure if he's on the forum but a thank you anyway!

paulr

Well done Scott,
That is my no.1 wet fly for lochs.
cheers
Paul

scotty9

Cheers guys, can anyone recommend a cheap but decent quality tool kit to get started with? I don't want to buy something and find it's useless not far down the line.

Came across this:

http://www.troutcatchers.co.uk/acatalog/Tool_Kits.html

The one at the bottom is only ?6!

River Chatter

Cracking first flies Scotty! They'll deffo do the business for you next year.

Guddler

Those flees look great - congrats on taking the plunge. I've just started and I'm absolutely loving it

Quote from: wee bri on November 14, 2009, 12:05:39 AM
The 3 most important tools..........
Get yourself a good quality pair of wide looped but short blade fine scissors, a good quality ceramic lined bobbin holder and good pair of hackle pliers.

^^^ Sounds like good advice. I bought a cheap set of tools and though they do me fine at the moment I'm pretty sure I'll end up buying something better now I'm hooked.  :lol:

deergravy

Nice flies, Scott -about time time you started tying :)
There's no way back now... :twisted:

Clan Chief

Excellent first flies. Really Really good.

scotty9

Cheers everyone!

Dod, nae cast  :D My finger still doesn't work right though  :x

scotfly

Seriously good ties scotty9. Good proportions and nice dubbing too.  :8)

Go To Front Page