News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

High Riding Flies

Started by Malcolm, December 01, 2009, 01:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

I'm interested in finding out what styles of fly people use to imitate the times when the trout only take flies that are sitting completely proud of the surface. I find this a problem area particularly for the Yellow May which sometimes fixates trout at this stage so that the high nymphs, sunk abdomen and "in the surface" flies simply won't work.

I've not found the ideal solution yet. Griffiths Gnat style is the best so far.

What do you use?   
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

If fish won't take my standard parachutes or no hackle type duns, I fish an upside down pattern to keep the hook out of the water. The other option is to fish a palmered pattern.

Alex
Protect the edge.

aliferste

Another classic pattern would be a comparadun - tied with deer hair it floats tall and proud and is pretty indestructable.

paulr

Wouldn't a good old fashioned hackled dry fly, with a generously wrapped hackle, float pretty high on the water?

Malcolm

Breac Uaig.
Interesting but doesn't the dressing get in the way of hooking?

Alex,

I've been trying the Upside down route today tied some of these and after a bit of experimentation these seem to land the right way up in my handbasin - and then topple over - needs a bit of work I think!

[attachimg=1]
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotty9

Alex, what's the hooking performance like with the upside downies?

scotfly

This has served me well past season. For a Yellow May use dyed partridge for the body.

bibio1

For yella mays I use a funnel dun, a much under rated fly.

haresear

QuoteAlex,

I've been trying the Upside down route today tied some of these and after a bit of experimentation these seem to land the right way up in my handbasin - and then topple over - needs a bit of work I think!

That looks pretty much like my attempts Malcolm. Maybe it is a question of proportion - longer hackle and thinner post maybe? What hook is that? I find the Partridge Klinkhamer works ok.

Having said that, I now just tie the odd true USD fly for "special " fish - no not the ones done in breadcrumbs :). If a fish refuses my normal parachute, I just grasp the wing and hackle and twist the whole dressing around 180 degrees.

QuoteAlex, what's the hooking performance like with the upside downies?

I don't use them that much Scott, they are standbys and just another option for tough fish, but they seem to hook fish just fine. The only thing to watch is that you don't use too stiff a winging material, or too much of it, for your post, otherwise the post can impede hooking .

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page