News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Shellbacks on shrimp patterns, are they worth bothering about?

Started by brian, December 24, 2009, 11:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian

Started to tye up a few bugs this morning with the usual latex backs, wonder if having a shellback on them is all that important, do you think a simple dudded body with a rib would work as well?

cheers

brian.

Harpo

Hi Brian,

I've often thought that when fannying about cutting up a pair of clear latex gloves for the shell back.

Probably just another technique that looks better to the angler than to the fish....I still do it though

River Chatter

I like the sound of that WHB, you could post a pic in the 'what I tied' thread could you?

Malcolm

I do like shellbacks for shrimps. The material I use is iridescent and is called I believe "shellback". Shrimps aren't the first pattern out of the box for me. I used to use them a lot while on the chalkstreams.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

I like shellbacks on ryac and shrimp patterns. I feel it tidies up all the loose dubbing and slims the fly down, meaning is has less water resistance and so less lead is needed to get down than on a simple dubbed fly.
I also like the effect of a two tone abdomen. Most larvae are darker on the back than on the belly, so you get a flickering effect on a downstream drift.

Alex
Protect the edge.

River Chatter

Quote from: wildhibroon on December 25, 2009, 09:09:13 PM
Hello River Chatter! ALL fly-tying + fishing kit packed away - to make sure the DIY gets finished - really sorry. Also, still working on technique, and, conveniently, no digicam here... However, I promise to post pix before 15th March.

What's that WHB, too drunk and full o'Christmas grub to handle a fly without stabbing yourself?  I see. No worries, I'll sit patiently 'til ye sober up and the rennies kick in.  And if that takes 'til March then so be it!  :lol:

River Chatter

My sympathies WHB. I thought I had it bad wi' backed up DIY jobs, but jeez! Dinnae forget to pace yourself or you'll be spent by opening day.  :)

Ptinid

I too prefer a shellback on shrimp patterns. They help to show the segmented effect of the ribbing which can get lost when using a long haired dubbing.

As Alex said, it also slims down the shrimp, and that can matter.
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

River Chatter

Go To Front Page