News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly Tying Waste

Started by Black-Don, February 23, 2010, 02:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black-Don

Don't know if this has been done before, but what do folk do with bit's of feathers and wire, tinsel etc,. which are surplus to the flies they've tied ?

Do they just bin them or do they use them to tie bit's and pieces flies ?

River Chatter

Can I refer you to this thread BD... you might be in with a shout for the title!  :lol:

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=12404.msg124970#msg124970

Black-Don

Quote from: buzz on February 23, 2010, 02:07:55 PM
I like to scatter them all over the house much to the amusement and constant joy of the Wife.
I pay particular attention to hooks, the best pace for them is in the soles of children's feet.

Okay, i bin the bits and bobs otherwise you end up tying psih flies you will never use.

Some sound advice there Buzz.  :shock:

Quote from: River Chatter on February 23, 2010, 02:50:43 PM
Can I refer you to this thread BD... you might be in with a shout for the title!  :lol:

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=12404.msg124970#msg124970

Ach, you're just trying to get on your soap nut box RC.  :lol:

There must be folk on here that have a use for these bits though even if it's just to keep them for cheap christmas decorations or to use in the crafting of hand made greetings cards.  :shock:

Inchlaggan

I sit with an old shoe box on my lap, sweep everything into that, and pick out anything that might be of future use.
As a model maker, I have disciplined myself to look in the "scrap" boxes before cutting from new stock.
It is amazing what you find.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

alba

Quote from: Inchlaggan on February 23, 2010, 06:37:58 PM
I sit with an old shoe box on my lap, sweep everything into that, and pick out anything that might be of future use.
As a model maker, I have disciplined myself to look in the "scrap" boxes before cutting from new stock.

im the same, all the leftover material thats left on the table goes into a spare box, never know when something might come in handy, am a novice fly tyer so bits and bobs do for practacing new paterns

scotfly

Every now and again I have a tidy and it's mostly binned! But not always as can be seen here from May last year.....

Quote from: scotfly on May 05, 2009, 11:36:16 PM
Gave my bench a tidy this week, weeks of tying a few of these and few of those left it covered with bits of this and that.. Z-lon, Sparkle yarn, Cock and Hen hackles, various bits of dubbing, etc, etc!
Normally most of it ends up in the bin, but for a change I thought I'll use it instead of binning it. All these from bits and pieces on the bench!

Black-Don

Quote from: Inchlaggan on February 23, 2010, 06:37:58 PM

If it hadn't been for the picture posted above ken I'll bet there would have been one or two who would have had a wee chuckle at your fly tying frugality.  :wink:

Quote from: scotfly on February 24, 2010, 02:00:57 AM
Every now and again I have a tidy and it's mostly binned! But not always as can be seen here from May last year.....

Some cracking flees there Scotfly, just goes to show what can be done.

Main reason I posted was because I always seem to throw away one half of a perfectly useable Bronze Mallard feather.

Any ideas anyone  ?

Go To Front Page