News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Best Scissors ?

Started by Black-Don, April 02, 2010, 12:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black-Don

I was wondering if anyone could recommend the best scissors for fly tying. I've been managing with a pair of Veniards which came with a kit so they ain't exactly top of the range.

I'm not looking to buy the most expensive scissors if I can avoid it but just feel I could improve on what I've got. I think it's like when I had a non ceramic bobbin holder and the thread kept breaking. I didn't know any better and made do but there must be room for improvement.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Clan Chief

I'm not sure which are the best but I use a pair of craft scissors from Tesco yes Tesco. I think they are 2.99. They have a nice fine point I have had them a couple of years now. I still have a pair of stonefly scissors which are good but the tesco ones are every bit as good at less than half the price.

Wildfisher

I bought a pair of Stonefly scissors last year Donald. Kept absolutely for feathers, threads and yarns etc only. Fine serrated blades, well made, superb. They cut accurately at the extreme tip which cheap scissors don't do or at least don't do for long.

Not cheap I think they were over 20 quid, but worth every penny. I have a few pairs of cheap shit scissors for cutting lead, tinsel, wire etc

Wildfisher

Can't say if if they have improved or not Stave having never owned any previous Stonefly tools.

Tim

Tesco's craft scissors bought on forum advice are perfect and cheap. I keep the veniards for wire which is about all they are good for.

Tim

garryh

Thompson supreme scissors had the reputation as the best best scissors around.not cheap at around ?35 but they are no longer available.but apparently they were made for them by anvil .these are available from lakeland for ?18.the finger loops were mouldable and the blades were ice tempered.i first saw them being used by Ollie Edwards at a fly tying demo and he swore they were the best he had used.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Clan Chief

With reference to stonefly  products , apart from the scissors it is my experience that their other products are crap sorry ! but they are. Had a bobbin holder that broke also a fur rake that broke too. just my opinion , there you go.

scotfly

Have a look at sportfish gold loop scissors. Reasonable price and pretty good.

Guddler

I was using a pair of Steve Parton "Mitey Fine" scissors last night on deer hair and they were absolutely spot on, cost about a fiver.

Drifter

Another vote for the sportfish gold loop scissors had them for a few years and still ok. Also have a pair of veniards scissors with serrated edge very good for cutting feathers and deer hair.

Go To Front Page