News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Best Scissors ?

Started by Black-Don, April 02, 2010, 12:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inchlaggan

In all such things- how much time do you spend taking care (sharpening) such essential tools?
It was beaten into me aged 6 or less, by my great-grandfather who was a joiner-cabinet maker in Colinton Road, Edinburgh (Erskine & Brown).
A chisel or plane needed the "edge" replaced after 15 mins of work, and re-ground every week. His team worked a 5 1/2 day week, the half day, on Saturday, was entirely tidying up and tool sharpening. 45 years later I can still do a 10pt crosscut saw in under 15 mins.
But then, I am a sad b@st@rd>
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Andrew Moray

Quote from: Inchlaggan on April 03, 2010, 09:22:22 PMBut then, I am a sad b@st@rd
Not at all  :D
I was just about to recommend scissors I got from ebay - a set of 3 different types for ?10 odd.
German seller, but didn't see them listed on a quick search.
Had mine since I started tying, and a wee run over a Japanese gritstone has them as sharp as Frankie Boyle in jig time.

Highlander

I quick word on Stonefly products.............Don't.
I was the first in Scotland to buy their set, the ones coloured blue or so the lady from H & H told me & probably the first to send the hackle pliers back for replacement no not one but two times, both broke.
The rest were hastily confined to "bin" other than the dubbing needle which I still use & oh the scissors & dubbing rake I still have somewhere. The best part was the plastic box they came in. The scissors were actually quite sharp with fine points but I bloody could not get them of my fingers as they have rubber inserts in the grips which refuse to shake off & you have to use your other hand to pull off.
Not going to tell you what my good lady bought me for Xmas though, Andrew Moray knows.....   :makefun
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Andrew Moray

Quote from: Highlander on April 09, 2010, 03:21:09 PMNot going to tell you what my good lady bought me for Xmas though, Andrew Moray knows.....   :makefun
Indeed he does  :D
Pity it wasn't one of these, somebody REALLY wanted this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/lawrence-waldron-rotary-fly-tying-vice-fly-fishing_W0QQitemZ250605114660QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL?hash=item3a593a9524

Have a good weekend Alan,
Tony

Black-Don

Cheers for all the replies.  :8)  I'll let you know what I get once I've read them all.

Go To Front Page