News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

top 5 river flies

Started by Tweed, March 28, 2010, 07:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmul

Hares ear
Partridge and orange
Waterhen bloa
F fly (in various body colours)
Elk Hair Caddis

plus loads more that I would hate to be without, but these five would be my top five and most used
none bigger than a sixteen

Malcolm

Quite difficult this. I'd probably go for a couple of spiders - Snipe and purple and Partrige and orange

A couple of dries perhaps a CDC emerger and a CDC and Elk

and a streamer - possibly a goldhead minky.

Ask me tomorrow and I'll have changed my mind.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Ptinid

Just as a wee aside in this topic, I've found Greenwells Glory suddenly appearing a lot more in my fly box - and taking fish. Only used it as a 'nearest imitation' on the Don trip, but I've found it more successful on the Eden this year so far than on previous years.

Is it confidence, or the weather affecting hatches? Who knows. Wee brassies also taking a few more fish this year than before.
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

burnie

Caught more fish on a Wickhams Fancy than any other fly,do use klinks more than anything nowadays.I think you need to have a good selection of sizes and colours of these and I'm sure you'd catch anywhere once the weathers warmed up a bit.Do like using nymphs ,especially tungsten ones.

Go To Front Page