News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Bit of a clear-out

Started by Tweed, May 30, 2010, 11:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweed

Finally got round to throwing away a heap of old sh1te, and made myself stick to just 3 boxes of flies I may actually fish one day!  (Well, there is one other tub full of woolly buggers and the like for the big-boys, and I still do have the old 3-tier wooden box full of stuff I can't bear to throw away, but the plan from now on is to leave that in the garage and go with a more manageble collection.

1st up are the wets (most of my fishing is loch stuff) . . .

[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]

then the dries and buzzers . . . .

[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]

and finally my rather lame, but growing, river collection (and a few wee specials!). . .

[attachimg=5]
[attachimg=6]

Cheers,

Andrew

burnie

Thought you were throwing them away,I woz going to say,I'll have 'em :8)

Harpo

Nice one Andrew, like the look of them.

I've never used buzzers, do you fish with them much?

Chers

Harpo

Quote from: wee bri on May 31, 2010, 12:55:55 AM
You'd better tie some then............for Leven :makefun...........wee bri.

Yikes, you'd better have plenty spare ones Bri.....i'll only manage about 2 by the time we meet up. Looking forward to that by the way  :D

Tweed

Quote from: Harpo on May 31, 2010, 12:20:42 AM
Nice one Andrew, like the look of them.

I've never used buzzers, do you fish with them much?

Chers

Yeah - on their day they can be pretty good.  I usually get bored after 10 or 15 minutes though and go back to pulling wets (you'll know if their working by then anyway).  Can be good as a team of 3, chucked across the breeze, with a figure of eight retrieve. Or hang one between two bouyant dries and watch for the swirls as fish take the buzzer.

(Don't tell anyone - but usually one of my first lines of attack for r****ows as well  :roll:)

Andrew

Inchlaggan

I've followed Tweed's sage advice and taken a look at my fly boxes.
Sad to say, I "discovered" that I own 14 Fox fly boxes, plus a few assorted others, most of which were full.
That's around 2000 flees.
Prat.
Right, sort them out. First the good ones (obtained from the fly swap, or borrowed from someone else's box)
Then the passable ones, simple patterns tied by myself. Now I am not much shakes as a fly-tier, but I recognise pish when I see it.
So out with the scalpel. Two days at the bench and I have halved my collection. I then took a long hard look at what was left.
Fully three-quarters of my collection are traditional Scottish Loch wets. Just 24 patterns tied in various sizes.
The remainder are dries, buzzers, daddies, a few mayflies and assorted terrestials.
Plenty of assorted hooks in the box now, but what should I tie to fill these boxes again?
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Go To Front Page