News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

How Long Dear Kate?

Started by Wildfisher, July 31, 2005, 06:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Looking through the recent posts on this site,  the most mentioned and used fly right now seems to be the Green tailed Kate McLaren.

So my question is this. Is it mainly successful because   everyone uses it? When we were on the Badanloch  earlier  this month the keeper suggested that most anglers think Loch Rimsdale has the better fish. So everyone goes there and catches the better fish. Self fulfilling prophesy or fact?  Same with Kate,  is she  really any better than a bibio? Remember they also come in multi-flavours, green centre, yellow centre???? Does Kate catch just because she gets used more often?  Is Kate just the current fashion? Will her popularity wane and will she be replaced  by a more fashionable,better looking , youngster in the next few years?  Is old Kate in her bright green skirt  just mutton dressed up as lamb? :lol:

David

How is the Green Tailed Kate tied?  Do you go to the effort of getting (or creating) dyed tippets or is it just green floss?

Cheers
David

lnelson20

Interesting comment Swithun,do believe this is an excellent fly as is the original :D but do believe your absolutely correct,a bit of both really would be my theory,and do believe it's glowbrite 11 flourescent floss :D
All the best
Chris.
c.nelson

lnelson20

Quote from: lnelson20Interesting comment Swithun,do believe this is an excellent fly as is the original :D but do believe your absolutely correct,a bit of both really would be my theory,and do believe it's glowbrite 11 flourescent floss :D
All the best
Chris.
Sorry Swithun,thought this was your post,not admin's. :shock:
All the best
Chris.
c.nelson

wullie

I last fished Badenloch 12 years ago. rimsdale, nan clar? etc and the keeper then told me to fish a fly with a green tail, black and bushy. We caught fish.

Sodger Muddler

I have fished a Green Arsed Zulu double on the point  before and got fish,Never even seen a green arsed Katey .

Sodger Muddler

I have seen the pattern you are talking about Alan ,however my tying has  JC cheeks and a broad silver rib.

Sodger Muddler

He he  stockie basher  :lol: ,I have used mine  on the Donegal loughs and it has worked fine for broonies.

beaniboy67

QuoteI would tend to agree wi Allan that the glowbrite can be attached as a tail to many different flees and have great success, however i recall over hearing a conversation in Orkney at the Merchister hotel some years ago where Mr Kemp fae Heddle n Kemp fame (ke He) was totaly outraged with anglers/flytiers who dared change the original pattern that THEY had created, the KeHe according to him should stay as the original or it was not a KeHE
Maybe his age had something to do with it but i never challenged him, but perhaps now that we are discussing variants we should try the KeHe with a bit o glowbrite.
Could be very interesting reading at the end o 2006 season
what you lot say !!!!  
i have been using ke he variants for years.

an orange one is good
use globrite #(bright orange canane mind  the number) also with the tippet as tail

peacock body as usual(twist it like rope  it lasts longer)

and use brown hen as the head hackle!

i had a day on lochan na bi near tyndrum and took between 10 and 15 grown on brownies with it!

ive also had fish on it at the borrolan!

Wildfisher

Really must start using the old KeHe again. Have not soaked one for a long time. Damned good fly too as I recall.  :)

Go To Front Page