News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Ten flies.

Started by Fin, August 26, 2010, 11:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fin

As it's nearing Our trip to Caithness. I was wondering that if you were only allowed to take 10 flies with you, what would they be.

Flies to fish Watten and the surrounding lochs. I know it depends on the weather and other factors, as these might effect your choices. So we could split it up into three groups.

Group 1: windy conditions, top 3 flies.
  Group 2: perfect conditions, top 4 flies
  Group 3: bright calm conditions, top 3 flies.

Fin...

The Bandy Man

Quote from: Fin on August 26, 2010, 11:27:11 PM

As it's nearing Our trip to Caithness. I was wondering that if you were only allowed to take 10 flies with you, what would they be.

10 flies oot o' your box.  :lol:

John

bibio1

Ten flees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why limit yir self. Go on take the lot. What you need is a bigger box.

I take the view you can try anything as long as its black with a black palmered hackle. red game head hackle and golden pheasant topping at the tail. Might as well take the lot.

Still a bit to go.

looking forward to it.

cheers

Paul

Fin

Is that you on your way to filling that second box for me Paul? :beg

John, you would only be getting some of your own flies back, if  you were to get 10 oot o my box.  :makefun

Fin....

The Bandy Man

Fin, my fly boxes are near empty.

I started tying specifically for Caithness the other day. I'm tying hoppers and daddies just now, as I've seen insane amounts of daddies (particularly on Sarclet) at around that time of year. We'll have to be lucky with the weather for that though.

For windier days, I'll stick with my old favourites of sedge/hedgehogs and muddlers and green tailed kates with stuff like pennels, invictas, butchers etc. on the tail. I remember years ago a local guy told me to put on something big and white on Watten - It worked a treat, so I'll tie up something big and white too.

I've seen an an olive hatch too at that time of year and a fall of flying ants (do you remember that?), so I'll tie a couple of things to  cover that possibility.

Then, if the fish aren't coming to the surface then I'll want some weighted thingies too.

So, I'll just tie up a few things to cover the insect life I've seen up there before - I'm not even sure what I'll eventually end up with. I'll no doubt augment whatever I tie with buying a puckle flees at Hugo's too.

One things for sure though - you're getting none of them.  :lol:  :makefun

John

Fin

Lets see how good you boys really are. Iwill fish with only your flies, the results will speak for themselves.
None of the nonsense that, no matter how good the flees are, but your'e a shite fisher.  :x.
God i will try anything to get some free flees. So i've decided that i'm going to tie one up and fish it on every cast at caithness, untill it catches a fish.
The fish will have nothing to fear now. :oops:

Fin....

paulr

Just posted some flies on the "what have you tied" thread for my forthcoming trip to Caithness, but I'm wondering about these white flies for Watten that Bandy mentioned. Are we talking wets? Or dries like white moths? Or dirty big cats whiskers?

cheers
Paul

The Bandy Man

Quote from: paulr on August 30, 2010, 10:40:19 PM
Just posted some flies on the "what have you tied" thread for my forthcoming trip to Caithness, but I'm wondering about these white flies for Watten that Bandy mentioned. Are we talking wets? Or dries like white moths? Or dirty big cats whiskers?

cheers
Paul

The fly that worked for me on that day was pulled wet in a very big wind, Paul. Best described as a White and Peacock (soft hackle) on a size 8. To be fair. there were other flies that worked just as well on that day.

John

The Bandy Man

Quote from: DOD DUNBAR on August 30, 2010, 11:00:51 PM
Bandy ,Sarclet really weedy just now but one or two clear patches would not go there with more than 3 of you ,bit in front of the shed and that bank probably the best ,sedgehogs worked well for us last month
Watten was also sedgehogs and black nymphs if the fish were down ,corrie killer also

Thanks Dod, the information is much appreciated.

John

paulr

Thanks John,

That's a BIG fly!

Thanks Dod too  :wink:

cheers
Paul

Go To Front Page