News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Snapping Thread

Started by dazdidge, September 26, 2010, 11:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazdidge

I have been practicing my tying quite a bit over the last few weeks and have been getting increasingly frustrated at the amount of times my thread is snapping. It seems to happen even when putting hardly any tension on the thread so I have decided it is either the bobbin holder of the thread causing the problem. The holder is just a cheap one from a begginners kit and is stainless steel. As for thread I just use normal sewing thread, is there any real difference between this and thread designed for tying?

cheers
daz

The Bandy Man

Hi Darren

I'm not sure why you should be snapping the thread so often. I've never used sewing thread, so I can't comment on the relative merits of using it, and it may well be that. It could also be your bobbin holder, as you say, if it's got any sharp edges.  Another possibility is that you're catching the thread on the hook point during tying causing a weakness in the thread which later breaks.

I use Uni Thread for all my tying and I think you should consider getting some other thread to do the job. I use 8/0, but maybe you could start with 6/0 which is a bit thicker and stronger. The thicker the thread though, the more problems you'll have making small heads on your flies and the fly may look bulky too - particularly on the smaller sizes. You should eventually get used to the tension you can apply to the thread you're using and fewer breakages should occur. For good looking flies, good (and therefore more expensive!) materials are very important, although there are certainly some bits and bobs that you can find around the house, or also at cheaper places like craft shops.

I think we need to get this fly tying evening together, I think it would help you a bit.

John

burnie

I too started with a "kit" and whilst the tools and thread work,they are far from ideal.The one I got from Mallochs includes unwaxed thread that is twice the diameter of the 8/0 that I'm now using.My problem is failing eyesight,I keep cutting the thread with my scissors when snipping off materials before I've whipped the head.Going to get a magnifying glass to solve the onset of old age,which glass do you old  guys use? :crap

Inchlaggan

Two options from Maplin.
Go to the website and type in the following codes into the "Search" option.
A29FF
or
N70FK
I use both albeit for different tasks.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Black-Don

Using sewing thread won't help but I wouldn't know because I've never tried it but changing the thread won't make any difference unless you change the bobbin holder. I had exactly the same problem until I changed to a ceramic bobbin holder as reccommended by Davie McPhail and the thread very rarely snaps these days. I can't even remember the last time the thread snapped.

harelug

Sounds like a dodgy bobbin holder to me, I've had snapped threads in the past, repeatedly with metal spigot types. If it's a good one it works, if not get rid. Ceramic ones are probably best, the ones with inserts do the job but are a bugger to thread.
There is no greater
  fan of fly fishing

Than the worm

Inchlaggan

or coat the interior of the spigot with nail varnish- Hard as Nails will do the job.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

rabbitangler

Use proper tying thread as normal thread is too thick apart from being a bit weaker.

Quote from: guest on September 26, 2010, 06:29:19 PM
until I changed to a ceramic bobbin holder as reccommended by Davie McPhail and the thread very rarely snaps these days.

Couldn't agree more, a tiemco ceramic would be my choice, I have two and rarely snap thread, at least not due to the bobin :D. I wouldn't risk nail varnish as it could easily have a sharp edge to the coating.

As a possibility do you let the thread continuously, slowly slip through the end of the holder or do you wind until the bobbinm is almost at the hjook then pull more thread out? it's possible that if you wind on the spot you are wearing away one short section of the thread and that is then breaking, I've had that problem sometimes.

Go To Front Page