News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Amadan's weighted nymph flybox

Started by Amadan, October 02, 2010, 02:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amadan

God this feels like a fashion parade but as I have no means of taking quality pics of individual flies at the moment and am dependent on Past Caring for taking pics of the massive fish I catch when fishing, but he never emails me the images as proof (always wondered why none of my 4lb trout winkled out of tiny streams ever get verified... no really I catch em like that all the time, 4lbs just throw themselves at me.... its just I don't have any .... well....)... so then I thought would do the flybox.

Picture taken on a mobile phone so....

[attachimg=1]
my box of weighted nymphs for rivers.

The size 16 n 18s get used mostly below a big balloon caddis or klink for shortline duo and longer nymphing in faster glides- using the slightly smaller ones in slower water along the edges etc.

The bigger ones and the super heavy weights are all really only used for czech nymphing or to get to bottom of a deeper pool.

Usually there are grayling about where I fish so the pinks and stuff on the heavier flies I know are a wee bit garish but ok for them.

The other side of this box is filled mostly with spiders and unweighted nymphs. I'll not post that as didn't tie the spiders myself.

I've been tying for about 18 months now and looking at pictures and SBSes on here looking forward to a lot of years of practicing to get such flies. I think I am gonna spend a lot of the closed season tying loch flies for a visit to Scotland next season so all really useful- thanks.

Martin

haresear

A very nice river selection there Amadan. Those will do very nicely in Scotland, or indeed anywhere I expect.

A wee point on weighted nymphs. I notice that you have already sussed this, Amadan, with your reference to unweighted nymphs and spiders.....

In some magazines I see a lot of emphasis put on getting a nymph down quickly. While this is certainly often desirable, especially during winter for grayling, it is often not quite as simple as that.

Firstly, a fish will often rise up to take a nymph anywhere from the surface to above its station. Secondly, a lightly (or unweighted) nymph will flutter along more slowly and hopefully attractively when fished upstream in tandem with a heavier nymph or spiit shot :crap 

Alex

Protect the edge.

Clan Ford

A Nice, Bright, Sparkly box there Martin,

It's just the way I like them, don't listen to Alex's advice on unweighted flies just choose your three heaviest nymphs and get them down to the fish quick :worms

My normal set up would be one of your big boys on the point, and a couple of smaller 16's (still with tungsten beads) on the droppers :shock:  Works well in the heavy flows of the river I fish.  I suppose if the river your fishing is a bit gentler and shallower then Alex's advice might come into play :?

Norm

burnie

I used to catch nearly all my Grayling on dry flies in Englandshire,do you get any on the Clyde or Earn with dries?

Noddy

I get grayling on the Gryffe at this time of the year using a small black Klinkhammer.

Jim

haresear

QuoteMy normal set up would be one of your big boys on the point, and a couple of smaller 16's (still with tungsten beads) on the droppers Shocked  Works well in the heavy flows of the river I fish.  I suppose if the river your fishing is a bit gentler and shallower then Alex's advice might come into play Confused

Clan Ford is right of course :). It is a matter of adapting the weight of the fly to the conditions you are fishing in. Last weekend we were fishing a shallow fairly gentle run into a pool and a I saw a fish boil. A light wire nymph worked for me, where a heavy nymph would probably have been down too deep to catch the attention of the fish I was fishing for.

On the other hand in fast deep water, with nothing showing on top, the heavy guns would likely be my first line of attack too, like Clan Ford's.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page