News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

A new start.

Started by piscatus absentis, October 09, 2010, 08:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piscatus absentis

I sat down with five full Fox boxes the afternoon.  Now I have one holding 37 flies.  The rest are binned most of them never used.  Next up are another three boxes of river flies.  All the spares held in various tins and boxes have been binned as well.

My ambition is that by the start of next season I will have one loch and one river box each holding no more than half a dozen different patterns in (maybe) three sizes.

Ruthless is my middle name.  I just hope it's not fishless next year.

Clan Chief

You are a brave man, Bob!

Guddler

I've done a job on mine the last couple of close seasons. I'm at a single Fox box now (down from two huge and clunky waterproof compartment thingummies a couple of years ago  :roll: ) but I reckon that even now half the flees are untouched whilst my favourites are shagged. Still more work to do!

Part-time

I wish I had the willpower to do what you've done; I usually try every close season and just end up rearranging flies. I tend not to use many flies when I'm out but still need at least three boxes (wee ones!) of flies with me even when travelling light - I'l get myself sorted out some day :)

Highlander

QuoteMy ambition is that by the start of next season I will have one loch and one river box each holding no more than half a dozen different patterns in (maybe) three sizes

Heard it
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

dazdidge

In my former life when fishing lochs I used to carry literally hundreds of flees, I spent more time deciding which ones to use than actually fishing!!! When I started river and loch fishing this year I got rid of everything I didn't need, even going to the trouble of cutting off beads for ptn's and the the like. Now I have two small boxes. One box is for normal sized flies (12, 14 and 16) one side dries one side wets. The other box is for 18 and smaller, one side dries one side wets
I could probably cut this down even further as all the fish I caught this year were on half a dozen patterns.
Give me one box full of klinks and PTN's in varying shades, sizes and weights and I'm happy.

cheers
daz

alancrob

Don't bin them!

Auction them or flog through feabay for the forum.

A.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on October 11, 2010, 12:15:45 AM
this is girls stuff, last trip took 3 flies

That's only because you don't tie flies.   :lol:

Malcolm

I don't use many flies and am happy with a wee box for the hill lochs but three is cutting it a bit fine.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Guddler

Quote from: Malcolm on October 11, 2010, 05:59:31 PM
I don't use many flies and am happy with a wee box for the hill lochs but three is cutting it a bit fine.

Yes, I said that I was at a single Fox box now but I do keep a very small box of emergency spares tucked away in case I lose it (or leave it on the doorstep along with my camera and mobile as happened earlier this year  :roll: )

Go To Front Page