News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

A Thread Problem.

Started by piscatus absentis, October 22, 2010, 08:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piscatus absentis

I'm finding it more difficult these days to get my flees down to the optimum size.  For this one (off and on a Connemara Black) I find a size 12 works best but even on a size 10 (as here) I finish up with a big untidy head (don't mention the wing).  The thread here is 6/0.

Finer threads simply break in my hands.

Are there any fine threads available with greater strength? 

bibio1

PA, try roman moser power silk. It's unbreakable, and thin, very thin, but slippy unless you wax.

cheers

Paul

Highlander

You could try one of the GSP threads but personally I hate them. Nylon based threads are generally stronger than polyester types but can be a pig to work with as they are far too slippy for good fly dressing.
My thread to go now is Benecchi 12/0 but the 8/0 may suit you better.(6/0 is a size too much for 12s) You will not get a better thread IMHO
I would not be to concerned about threads but with you own thread control. I take it your bobbin holder is ok & you are using a ceramic type rather than just steel. Possible you have a rag at the end or it could be a case you are simply pulling too much or even sub standard thread Thread control is just one of these things you have to learn.
No substitute for experience.
Other than the one I mentioned UNI make a good range of colours.
Tight Lines
Your fly will catch fish but widnae win any prizes
A wee hint "think about proportion in a fly"
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

rabbitangler

There are stronger threads, powersilk, GSP etc though they have problems, main one being its slipperiness, also the fact that if you pull too tight it becomes a garrot for any natural material. But there are a couple of options, the first being to practice winding the finer thread on a hook, (AKA don't pull too tight) till you get used to the breaking strain. It may involve a lot of breakage but will be worth it.

Alternatively, use some tying wax on the short length of thread where you want to hold things securely, wings, hackle etc. This means you need to use far fewer turns of thread - in theory just one to hold each material - which means that there will be a far smaller build up of thread & hence smaller, neater heads.

Are you able to make the tying night in Balbeggie, I'm sure there will be help available there.

Peter

Wildfisher

I use Sheer  Ultrafine 14 /0 grey for just about everything. Very thin and strong and  not too slippy.
A seriously good product. I cannot recommend it enough

http://www.lakelandflytying.com/1614/products/Sheer_Ultrafine_14_0.aspx

Fishtales

Is it maybe that you are putting too many turns on at the head, Bob. One, at most two, turns for each of the body, rib and hackles and then the rest for the wing. Also is the thread you are using twisted or stranded. The twisted thread tends to bulk where as the stranded lies flat.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Highlander

QuoteI'm not worried about winning prizes.  As long as I catch fish (and I do occasionally) I'm happy.  Also I'm not inexperienced

I'll give advice, I'll give constructive criticism if asked, whether one takes it or not is something i have no control over.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

toms dun

Sometimes its better to look at your set up ie use  pedestal  stand instead of being clamped solid if you start to put to much pressure on, the vice tips up after a time you learn how much tension to use this might help Tom

Clan Chief

I mostly use Uni Threan 8/0 I don't have any problems with the thread , Like someone said earlier, I too have problems with some of my bobbin holders. It will be my priority this weekend to get a couple of ceramic ones at the BFFI. I Will also have a look for that thread you recommend Fred and give it a try.

Go To Front Page