News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Stan's fly tying classes

Started by Highlander, October 30, 2010, 06:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

I am afraid Peter passed away some years ago. He ran a small fly tackle enterprise from his house in Clydebank. In later years,though he himself was not old he ceased to tie & fish & sold all his kit. I never seen him later on & I found out he had gone long after it had happened. I fished with him many years ago on the Endrick & his flies were quite superb tyings especially his wee shrimps. He was resident PRO at the now defunct Glasgow Fly Dressers at Notre Dame High School which I frequented for a couple of sessions until a parting of the ways. I remember his hair sedge & whilst not tied the same way gave the self same impression of the later Sedge Hog. Whether Mr Headley got the idea from that I do not know. Unlike Fred I do not rate him as "a first class tier". Many of his articles/books portray other peoples work & I am hard pushed to have actually seen some of his own stuff. Good luck to him any way but not my kind of guy I have to say.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

I think that's pretty much it Garry. However, many folk even call hedgehogs sedgehogs now. It has become a generic term. It's a testimony to the impact Stan has had.

garryh

theres no mention of sedgehogs on the orkney trout fishers website  :worms :lol:

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Wildfisher

Quote from: garryh on October 31, 2010, 12:24:18 AM
theres no mention of sedgehogs on the orkney trout fishers website  :worms :lol:

really?   :lol:

Love him  or loath him, you certainly notice him.

zeolite

I will go as it close to me (when I am not in Wyoming that is). I am sure I will learn something and that is all I really care about. politics and attitude are for other people. I am an open book for others to autograph. Just call me grasshopper!
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Wildfisher

Well said Ian. I'd  be there with you if I lived closer. Like it or not Stan has had a big influence on Scottish trout fishing and fly tying. Being a shrinking violet  gets you nowhere and Stan is certainly not that. Personally I don't agree with some of the stuff he writes, but to deny his influence is churlish. Just my opinion of course.   On more than one occasion I have seen Bruce Sandison being ridiculed and attacked on a certain forum and it was not pleasant to read. Envy is not nice, it's destructive. Let's not descend into the gutter with them.  :?

Tweed

Quote from: Highlander on October 31, 2010, 12:16:30 AM
I am afraid Peter passed away some years ago. . . . . . . .  I fished with him many years ago on the Endrick & his flies were quite superb tyings especially his wee shrimps.

Really sorry to hear that - hell of a nice guy, and regularly went out of his way to help a bunch of youngsters, as we were then.  I still have one of his red-spot shrimps in my box, and a beautifully tied deer-hair sedge - never fished it, but it's just too well tied to ever throw away.

Andrew

Tweed

Quote from: admin on October 31, 2010, 08:01:52 AM
Like it or not Stan has had a big influence on Scottish trout fishing and fly tying. Being a shrinking violet  gets you nowhere and Stan is certainly not that. Personally I don't agree with some of the stuff he writes, but to deny his influence is churlish. Just my opinion of course.  

I'd echo that.  Can't help feeling as well that sometines someone's public image isn't an exact reflection of what they might be like in 'normal' everyday life.  Sometimes what he writes, and the way in which he does it, probably doesn't endear him to folk and perhaps doesn't come across too well, but then it sells and if you're one of the few folk that can actually make a living from fishing I guess you've got to make it sell.

Wildfisher

Yes, I would guess that everyone in the UK who fly fishes knows Stan, so from that you have to say he is effective.

I seem to remember he was invited to join the Ferox85 group some years ago where membership is by invitation only.  They most certainly do not invite just anyone to join and Stan being a fly fisher makes it all the more remarkable.

A well known American actor once said. "let 'em love you or hate you, but never just be OK"   - or words to that effect.

So well known in fact I have forgotten who it was, so perhaps it doesn't work.   :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on October 31, 2010, 05:22:52 PM
has Stan ever been a member?

No, but I am sure  he would be valuable contributor.

Go To Front Page