News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

S L F

Started by Clan Chief, January 30, 2011, 11:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black-Don

Quote from: Clan Chief on January 31, 2011, 11:40:59 PM
The SLF I have is Davie Wotton standard dubbing.from GAC

Turns out I do have a paket of this very stuff in claret. I'll let you know how I get on.

Highlander

Only kidding guys, did not know there was a "new" stuff. Still will not use it. My take on a substitute is.

If the original is unavailable for what ever reason then a substitute is probably the way to go if it gives the desired effect. As this is sometimes touted as a "Seal Fur" substitute & Seal fur is still readily available then why use it. I am a Seal fur  man but only if I am tying 12s & above. It is not so good on smaller flies just because of it's physical make up. For smaller flies I prefer
Awesome Possum & dyed Rabbit & for really small stuf I can not see beyond Mole & Musk Rat. There is plenty out there to choose from. Bt all means try different blends, find one that suits you & stick to it.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Part-time

Quote from: Clan Chief on January 31, 2011, 11:40:59 PM
The SLF I have is Davie Wotton standard dubbing.from GAC

Thats the kind I have.
I find real seal fur easier to use but that may be because I'm still a beginner at tying. I do think the SLF creates a better effect on some flies than the seal fur. The Fiery Red SLF was my best colour DHS last season.

Black-Don

I must admit, the only reason I bought this as far as I remember was because GAC didn't have seals fur in claret. I've mainly started buying my feathers and fur from Steve cooper at Cookshill http://www.cookshill-flytying.co.uk/ these days 'cause he always seems to have what's in his catalogue in stock. Says he's got tons of real seals fur still available.  :wink:

Last night I was going through my tying box and looking at all the stuff I've bought which I'll never probably use just because I bought it as a substutute or because it was the latest " in stuff " for the latest " in pattern " and I've now decided that when I shop or order tying materials I'm going to have a list and stick to it with a couple of pre-picked alternatives to make up order value in case somethings out of stock. Don't know what this has got to do with the thread but felt it might somehow be important for some obscure reason.  :?

scotfly

Quote from: guest on February 02, 2011, 12:39:43 AM
I've now decided that when I shop or order tying materials I'm going to have a list and stick to it

Yeah right!  :lol:

Andrew Moray

Quote from: scotfly on February 02, 2011, 02:08:41 AM
Yeah right!  :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Donald, have you been to the BFFI ?

Like WeeBri, I find the Masterclass very easy to use on small flies, a lot shorter staple than the packet stuff, IMO.

Tony

Go To Front Page