News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Wooly Buggers or Fry Patterns

Started by Rabmax, January 06, 2011, 10:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpo

Quote from: col on January 08, 2011, 05:52:35 PM
found in clearwater rivers they can produce in otherwise dead water. Ie flowless flats .

Hi Col, plenty of flowless flats on the Almond :roll:, would you class that as Clearwater? i've often found those parts of the Almond impossible to fish for unless as you say there are rising fish to go for.

And to everyone, how do you fish your streamers/lures? I tried casting it up stream and across last year, leaving it to settle and then stripping it back just fater than the current. It seems like a good tactic but only worked the once for me.

I worry that this "lines" the fish.

Also tried down and across whoch was easier to fish, but didn't seem that way a natiral bait fish would swim :?

watch how Ollies casts his streamer in this vid, you don't see much but it's at 17 seconds, this technique works well and it's worth watching his streamer fishing lesson on dvd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XujYjEcyGK8

Malcolm

Quote from: Ardbeg on January 08, 2011, 11:27:30 PM
Variation is the key Stu, also try casting across and slightly upstream with a big downward stream mend.  The fly will wheech past the troot and hopefully instinct will make it grab the flee.

Ardbeg

Thats the way I fish mine mostly for seatrout and salmon. I've seen them torpedo after the fly and they often take it just as the fly starts to slow down
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotty9

Quote from: bibio1 on January 06, 2011, 10:22:48 PM
Personally I like to use a small zonker pattern tied to represent a minnow. Natural mink strip in a standard size 8 or 10 hook. I have stopped leading these patterns instead prefering to use an intermediate line for more control.

As for the fish caught, nothing really large but there have been a few that I was happy with. Not a cure for everything when things are slow but it does work and not enough people use this method on rivers.

cheers

Paul

Totally agree - I don't fish buggers, a rabbit strip or mink strip for smaller patterns is definitely the way to go. The ones I'm using are about 3'' long, and they're deadly  :lol: I'd say it's worth exploring at home with a real large streamer, it might be slow but when you do tempt something, it's going to be a good fish. Don't f*ck about: :lol:

Also when you're out streamer fish, try dead drifting like a dry fly - you may be rather surprised at the results  :8) Harpo - just saw your post, don't worry about lining fish - it's inevitable if you can't see them. I've found fish quite tolerant of it if they are deep.

Clan Ford

I fish with both "zonkers" and "wooly Buggers".  I'd say I have more success with wooly buggers but the lure that I actually catch most of my troots on is a 1/2" tube fly that was orginally tied for sea trout fishing :dunno

Norm

Go To Front Page