News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

which colour of genetic saddle would be most useful?

Started by brian, February 13, 2011, 01:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian

I'm thinking of buying a genetic saddle with march browns, Adams etc in mind but I'm not sure which colour would be the most useful, furnace, red game,brown,cree :? any thoughts?

cheers

Brian.

Fishtales

Red Game would be my choice.

Although a cinnamon coloured red game would be preferable rather than the usual dark red. Mix a small black hackle through it for a furnace effect or rap it over a short dark herl collar. Mix it with white for a translucent effect.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

garryh

by coincidence i just bought a cree saddle cape yesterday that might be what you are looking for.showed it to col this morning and we were thinking you could do adams with one feather. Metz grade 2 saddle ?22.
Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

garryh

yes thats the ones Brian.the only thing i would advise is there can be quite a variation in the shades,some have quite a lot of black barring and the brown also varies from light to dark.i got mine from the Glasgow angling centre and picked it from half a dozen on show,i only really fancied two of them,but everyone has different opinions .but its something to consider if going the mail order route.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Malcolm

If I had only one...no doubt in my mind: grizzle. It can be used for so many flies. I like Whiting saddles they come in various sizes and grades. There are fae too many hackles for the average lifetime - try and get someone to share then you can get two half capes.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Highlander

For the flies you mentioned I would go for Cree or a nice grizzle. Would not choose Metz but stick to Whiting. Have you thought of the Whiting 100s packs.That way you could afford maybe three different for the price of a whole saddle.
This sort of thing but shop around for best prices.
http://www.lakelandflytying.com/1912/products/Whiting_100s_Saddle_Hackle_Packs.aspx
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Andrew Moray

Hello Brian,

I have a pack of the Whiting 100's from when Alan showed me the ropes, I'd be happy to throw a couple in an envelope if you want to try before you buy ?.

A neck would provide a much wider range of sizes over a saddle, but if you intend to tie within a narrow range of sizes, IMO, the saddle would be the better option.
As for your FIRST :D genetic cape, grizzle would be my recommendation. (with careful use of Sharpie coloured pens).

HTH
Tony

Highlander

Quotefrom when Alan showed me the ropes
And now the pupil becomes the master.
:allhail
Do not know what Tony has left but if you drop me a line I can spare a few Cree saddle hackles, not Whiting but Hoffman which Whiting Farms bought over some years back.
Tight Lines
PS Tell you what though a Silver Badger is a nice hackle for Clyde Dries.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Black-Don

I heard from someone that grizzle are hard as hens teeth to come by this year because they've come into fashion in a major way.

I don't have any Whiting capes or saddles because they are hell of expensive but have a couple of Metz grade two which are cheaper but smaller.

I got a couple of cracking saddles from Gerry MacDonald and an absolute top notch furnace hen cape from Steve Cooper at Cookshill for ?14. The guy is excellent to deal with too, order it one day, it's there the next. I don't know why his catalogue seems to have such a limited choice or maybe you've got to ask him for your specific needs.

http://www.cookshill-flytying.co.uk/

EDIT

Was typing when you posted Brian. GAC was where I got my Metz capes. I'm surprised you were badly treated by them as they're usually quite good for customer service. I don't know why they didn't do a manual transax for you ? I take it you tried to get a bank at Saracen street, I'm no surprised it wisnae working :roll: in fact I'm sure I had to go into the branch the last time I was up there in Apache country.

Darwin

Genetic saddles are going up in the states as well, hair dressers using them.  One of my favorite suppliers has Metz #2 saddles for $30 and Whiting Euro Rooster Saddle Hackles for $60.  Same supplier also listing genetic feathers as craft / decorative fancy items
Lucky for me another supplier has Metz #2 cock saddles for $11.99 ($16.99 for grizzly, now marked out of stock) Obviously marked wrong, but they have had that price for months. Sorry but they don't ship out of country.

Go To Front Page