News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Three less popular Wet Flies that I found useful

Started by tweedbunnet, February 23, 2011, 08:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tweedbunnet

I never mentioned it before now but....

IMHO the Blae and Black is a very good imitative fly and worth a place on the cast at the right time

Tied on a 14, it pretty well matched exactly what I saw hatching on Lintrathen Loch one year.  The tippets were spot on as a a match for a fly about to "oviposit" if that is the correct term.

I also have a real soft spot for the Woodcock and Yellow, yet another winged wet fly.  Good fly from May onwards.

Perhaps I am just a real old boring traditionalist but I really enjoy tying and fishing the old classic Wet Winged attractors etc for Brown Trout as opposed to some of the more effervescent and modern creations, not that I would knock anyone fishing with them - that is their fancy and each to their own

tweedbunnet

Highlander

QuoteI doubt there are many loch fishers who would choose a Mallard & Claret over a Claret Bumble

Oh I know a few that might disagree with that statement. The Grouse & Claret & it's successor Mallard & Claret has been a mainstream tail fly for many Highland Trout fishers.
Yes new patterns are out there, well not so much new patterns but variation on a theme but with new materials. Fine though some are do not disdain the old stuff. They may be out of vogue but will still catch on their day.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

scotfly

Quote from: Exerod on February 24, 2011, 06:22:34 PMI doubt there are many loch fishers who would choose a Mallard & Claret over a Claret Bumble these days.

Without a doubt I would. The Mallard (Grouse) & Claret is probably my favourite wet fly,

deergravy

Teal and Red was once recommended as a deadly trout fly on the Tay, by a local who I met at Caputh bridge.
I found that a bit surprising, and of course didn't have any, but who knows?
Local knowledge and all that.

sandyborthwick

Three patterns that I would not be without on a Scottish Loch trip but are not seen often in other boxes.

1. Kingsmill.

2. Bruiser.

3. Machair Claret.

These are all great large brown trout and seatrout flies and will fish as a deadly tri-cast in the dusk.

Sandy B.O.

scotfly

Quote from: Exerod on February 25, 2011, 06:10:18 PM
I was thinking of the younger anglers :worried

Andy

Cheeky Bugger!  :shock:       

Go To Front Page