News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

klinkhammer with loop in tail?

Started by brian, March 31, 2011, 08:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teither

When you tie a dropper or extra leader to a hook bend does that not cause the top fly [ the floater ] to lie incorrectly in the water ?

T

haresear

Quote from: Teither on April 13, 2011, 01:16:54 AM
When you tie a dropper or extra leader to a hook bend does that not cause the top fly [ the floater ] to lie incorrectly in the water ?

T

Not if the dry fly is an emerger Jim. The nymph actually helps the klinkhammer or deer hair emerger to sit correctly, with it's abdomen subsurface.

I have tried the technique with pretty standard dry flies like a royal wulff and found the dry fly's tail always gets tangled and knotted around the NZ dropper (for want of a better description), so I stick with tailless flies as dries when using this method.

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotty9

Quote from: haresear on April 13, 2011, 01:34:58 AM

I have tried the technique with pretty standard dry flies like a royal wulff and found the dry fly's tail always gets tangled and knotted around the NZ dropper (for want of a better description), so I stick with tailless flies as dries when using this method.

Alex

That's interesting. Most of the time my dry is a standard pattern rather than an emerger and I haven't had that issue at all. I've tangled the whole thing around the main tippet and around the whole body of the dry but never had any problems with the tail. Very interesting actually. I wonder if variables like tippet length, fly weight, tail material etc all have a bearing on that. My go-to in the backcountry is a 12 or maybe a 14 royal wulff variant with deer hair wings and deer hair tail.

haresear

Quote from: scotty9 on April 13, 2011, 05:33:49 AM
That's interesting. Most of the time my dry is a standard pattern rather than an emerger and I haven't had that issue at all. I've tangled the whole thing around the main tippet and around the whole body of the dry but never had any problems with the tail. Very interesting actually. I wonder if variables like tippet length, fly weight, tail material etc all have a bearing on that. My go-to in the backcountry is a 12 or maybe a 14 royal wulff variant with deer hair wings and deer hair tail.

It could be the relationship between the two fly weights Scott. I find i have to fine tune this to get the right turnover.

It could also be my casting :?

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotty9

Quote from: haresear on April 13, 2011, 08:41:05 AM
It could also be my casting :?

Alex

Doubt that! Although actually something I have noticed is if you cast a very tight loop you can get into some issues, the second part of the tippet appears to almost just crash into the dry. I generally cast a bit wider loop most of the time. Interesting topic though, next time I'm out practising I think I'll try and work out what the cause might be.

haresear

Quote from: scotty9 on April 13, 2011, 09:58:39 AM
Doubt that! Although actually something I have noticed is if you cast a very tight loop you can get into some issues, the second part of the tippet appears to almost just crash into the dry. I generally cast a bit wider loop most of the time. Interesting topic though, next time I'm out practising I think I'll try and work out what the cause might be.

I wonder if it is due to a mini tailing loop on the  "dropper" Scott. Maybe I should delay the forward stroke a fraction longer.
I also notice a pronounced hingeing effect when I cast the nymph and dry and so in a headwind I usually use one or the other. I think I'll do a bit of experimenting myself as I struggled to cast the NZ dropper tidily into a headwind last weekend.

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotty9

Quote from: haresear on April 13, 2011, 11:15:04 AM
I also notice a pronounced hingeing effect when I cast the nymph and dry and so in a headwind I usually use one or the other. I think I'll do a bit of experimenting myself as I struggled to cast the NZ dropper tidily into a headwind last weekend.

Alex

I am exactly the same. Single fly for me into the wind. I could probably fix it by moving to a very short leader but I am just not comfortable with that.

Teither

Quote from: haresear on April 13, 2011, 01:34:58 AM
Not if the dry fly is an emerger Jim. The nymph actually helps the klinkhammer or deer hair emerger to sit correctly, with it's abdomen subsurface.

Alex

Alex
       Thanks for that. I just had a go at making a NZ dropper as you described, using a Klink and a wee weighted PTN. I've now got nice wee hookpoint punctures in my fingertips ! :)

J

haresear

Quote from: Teither on April 13, 2011, 12:28:24 PM
Alex
       Thanks for that. I just had a go at making a NZ dropper as you described, using a Klink and a wee weighted PTN. I've now got nice wee hookpoint punctures in my fingertips ! :)

J

:lol: :lol:

Aye Jim, there is a learned knack to positioning your fingers when tying the uni knot. I used to struggle with it myself, but it's now second nature. I use three turns by the way.

Alex

Alex
Protect the edge.

Teither

Alex
      It eventually dawned on me to tie a noose/slip knot and drop that over the bend of the top hook. That was quite easy   ...  is it likely to be secure ?
J

Go To Front Page