News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Reducing the bulk

Started by east wind, April 13, 2011, 11:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

east wind

All of us, i would think, like to keep the body profile of most flees as slim as possible.

When I'm using deer hair or even snowshoe hare for upwings and emergers i trim the excess wing material off with the scissors after securing.

The bulk left on 12's and 14's i can blend into a thorax pretty well most of the time, but with 16's (the smallest i go with deer hair) i struggle and get sudden change of profile from thick to thin halfway along, the scissors can't get in for a close shave.
It looks pretty shabby and its either a poor body or a decent body with not enough deer hair.

I have thought about using a razor blade to trim the excess bulk off behind the thread after tying the material in to level the profile.

Don't think I'm explaining this clearly but if anyone has a clue what I'm jibbering on about and has a wee trick of the trade they could share I'd be grateful.

Cheers,

Mac .

Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

haresear

If you mean trimming the wing butts on comparaduns or the likes of the DHE Mac, do you cut the butts off at a shallow angle? That's what I do and then adjust the amount of dubbing to give a reasonably gradually tapered abdomen, although I have to confess my flies are shabby things compared to most I see on this forum.

Alex
Protect the edge.

east wind

Quote from: haresear on April 13, 2011, 11:30:32 PM
If you mean trimming the wing butts on comparaduns or the likes of the DHE Mac, do you cut the butts off at a shallow angle? That's what I do and then adjust the amount of dubbing to give a reasonably gradually tapered abdomen

Yes Alex that's what i try to achieve and on the larger hooks lets say its "no bad"

Tried to do some compara dun iron blues last night on 16's using snowshoe hare and the profile was poor. I've got alternatives using CDC and stuff but with the short hatches i was looking for something with less maintenance.

Mibbee a stronger thread would do to bind it in closer. I've the Roman Moser stuff and was underwhelmed

Mac

haresear

I suspect your standards are higher than mine. Most people's standards are... http://www.wild-fishing-scotland.co.uk/flydatabase/locationdetail.php?loc=1871

Alex
Protect the edge.

Malcolm

I don't think there's anywhere for the  deer hair butt to go so you are limited! You can trim it very tight with a scalpel then put a drop of zap a gap on the butt section so that the wing doesn't fall apart.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

east wind

Quote from: haresear on April 13, 2011, 11:52:18 PM
I suspect your standards are higher than mine. Most people's standards are... http://www.wild-fishing-scotland.co.uk/flydatabase/locationdetail.php?loc=1871
Alex

That standard would do for me Alex, when i look at my finished versions side on there is a big rise from slim to bulk without the gradual taper.

Malcolm the scalpel thing was an idea i had as well, never tried the zap a gap, though with my fine motor skills using both could end in tears.

Mac

Ythanjoe

I have no solution to offer, although I don't think it probably matters much at the thorax, a slim abdomen may be a trigger, certainly helps puncture through the surface film, the thorax I imagine , is messed up with bits of shuck and wing case as the flies emerging, I match the bulk of compressed deer hair with enough hares ear in front and convince myself if it looks like a cripple thats a good thing  :D
#16 /18 with combed snowshoe seem to float with very little hair , my problem is seeing them on the water, sure the fly still floats after the first fish , just a bit lower and more difficult to see :(
Joe

Go To Front Page