News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Why Tie?

Started by StuDoig, April 13, 2011, 01:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

Catching a fish on a bought fly is like paying for it. Catching one on a fly you have tied yourself is the real thing.

(I'm told)

Tim

Wildfisher

Why tie?  That's easy, I can get the flies I want, exactly as I want them,  when I need them.

Bog standard wet flies like Butchers and stuff I just buy, I really could not be bothered tying those. My go-to flies like parachute dries, Klinks etc I tie, not  because I particularly enjoy fly tying, but because I can't  get them as I want them and I can't get  them if I need them, at short notice. Commercial flies, by and large, tend to be far too bulky and overdressed in my experience.

Malcolm

Fred has the same philosophy to myself. I buy muddlers as I hate tying them but do everything else myself hust the way I like them like most fly tiers a lot of my flies don't conform to established patterns.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Robbie

I tie for several reasons (most of which have already been covered) including enjoying it as a hobby in its own right, being able to tie flies the way you want when you want.  Being able to come up with your own flies or even copy those in magazines is another advantage.

In my experience saving money by tying your own flies is a difficult thing to do, I thought I would when I first started but the chest of draws full of materials at home says otherwise.

StuDoig

Hi guys,
         Hmmm, looks unfortunately like I'm in for a scowling at from the lass when I turn up with more stuff to clutter up the flat just shortly........

Next - are there any good sites containing guides for tying different flies?  Or should I look at books like "the fly tying bible"?

Cheers for the hints and tips already guys!

Robbie

Tweed

The step-by-step guides on here are first class as well.  I learned how to tie klinks off them last year, and have now got them looking half-decent - still don't catch too many fish on them mind.

As a good few have said above - for me tying allows me to get them the way I want them (all helps with the old confidence aspect), and I really enjoy it in it's own right.  Knocking up a few of what you think might work the next day and then using them to good effect is a real Buzz.

If you're worried about the time aspect, next time you find yourself about sit infront a cr@p TV program for an hour, or even half an hour, get up and go and knock up a few flies - you'll soon have a decent enough selection.

Andrew

Clan Chief

Why Tie?. I tie for the sheer enjoyment of it. I disagree with others that it saves money if anything it will cost you more because if you really get the bug you will always be on the lookout for more and more materials. I tie also because I like to tinker with standard patterns. I also like to tie and photograph my flies but I have still to get a proper wee studio set up. And of course its a great feeling to catch fish on your own patterns. As Malcolm said earlier I too tend to buy muddlers from my local shop when they are available because they are time consuming to tie and very messy too but now and again I will have a go at tying htem. I would recommend to anyone who is thinking of tying their own , to go for it. Apart from going to a class and having someone show you how to tie the next best thing is You Tube especially Mr McPhails site.

Black-Don

Much as other folk have said I'm going fishing tomorrow and have some specific requirements for my first river outing of 2011 so I tied this

I could probably get a fly similar to this from a shop but not with some of the trigger points I've included. Now that I've photographed it ( and I'm not the best photographer in the world ) I can see a few things I'd like to change so will be able to ammend this for future outings.

Highlander

QuoteI generally really enjoy making things myself and the satisfaction that comes with it compared to paying for someone else to make the effort.

I think you have answeared your own question.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page