News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Why Tie?

Started by StuDoig, April 13, 2011, 01:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazdidge

It's worth the effort! I started tying a few years ago but was really shite. I then got together with a few other forum members and started a local fly tying night, my fly tying has improved 1000% over the course of a few short months, meeting for a couple of hours every second week. Catching your first fish on the fly is really nice, but catching one on your own home tied one is even better.
It also really doesnt cost that much to start, the simplest of vices can be had for a tenner, a decent pair of scissors for the same, add in some basic materials and essential tools like a bobbin holder and you'll be amazed at what you can make for well under ?50!!!
The only downside is it can be addictive, but well worth it in my opinion.

daz

StuDoig

Quote from: Highlander on April 14, 2011, 10:08:51 PM
I think you have answeared your own question.
Tight Lines
Aye true enough - but its always fine to be able to blame the internet for convincing me! :D
Quote from: daz on April 14, 2011, 10:38:12 PM

It also really doesnt cost that much to start, the simplest of vices can be had for a tenner, a decent pair of scissors for the same, add in some basic materials and essential tools like a bobbin holder and you'll be amazed at what you can make for well under ?50!!!
The only downside is it can be addictive, but well worth it in my opinion.

daz

Looking at starter kits on flea-bay etc and it looks like its not too steep to get started ?20 for a basic tool kit (which if I like tying I can upgrade as time goes on) and the same again for a "how to" kit and materials to go with.  Granted I'm assuming that the quality of the materials will be pretty pants and the files will not neccessarily be the ones I want, but should do to get the hang of the basics.

Cheers

Stu

Fishtales

I would steer clear of starter kits, Stu.

Most of the tools you wont use and most of the items in the tying kit will be next to useless before long. You would be better to follow Donald's tying kit and the recommendations on that thread. Buy the basics at first for the flies you use most and work up from there.

There are lots of things you can use that will be lying around the house or picked up while fishing. The fluff from the filter on a tumble dryer can make good dubbed bodies, tinsel from the Christmas decorations and ribbon from the presents can make bodies, tails or ribbing. I have used the black nylon fibres from a draft excluder as tails on dry flies. Ordinary sowing thread makes good ribbing material as it is thicker than tying thread. Polypropylene string makes winging material, tails or bodies. The list is endless :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Inchlaggan

Why tie?
Why fish?
Ultimately, the answers to these two questions are pretty much the same- and if you don't know, I doubt I can explain.
Just try it.
(?5 says you get hooked!)
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

haresear

Quote from: Alan on April 15, 2011, 07:40:02 PM
not being a fly tyer myself a see a less expensive option, the advice is all here, just pick a selection of flies needed and ask precisely what materials etc is required, and the best place to get them etc, then you dont end up with 523 quids worth of feathers and 7 flies :lol:

He's right.

The danger is that you tie a few simple flies that catch fish. Nice and easy.
Next thing you know, you need to perfect the perfect feather wing (matched slips of course).
After that, it's a slippery slope. "I started trying Invictas and before I knew it I was on fully dressed Jock Scotts".  :)

Why I tie:

I tie most of the flies that I use. None are textbook patterns and they vary with my mood and what is to hand, although in my mind's eye I know what they are intended to imitate.
I catch as many or as few fish as I ever did. For olives, march browns, typical river flies, I have a general preference for a lightly dressed fly and it is hard to find those tied commercially.

If I feel like experimenting, I can for example come up with (poorly tied) upside down flies, which if available commercially would cost a few bob. Sometimes they give another option. I can also experiment  with back to front patterns etc., and importantly I can add enough weight as I need to a weighted nymph.

For me tying is like painting a room. I hate the preparation and the tidying up, but once I get into it, I find it quite satisfying :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Guddler

Just agreeing with what's been said before. Catching fish on something you've created really is a buzz.

Definitely decide on a few flies you want to learn to tie and get the right materials for them. I made the mistake of perusing ebay and buying things because I thought they were a bargain - I now have a load of tat materials that are of little use to me.  :roll:
Spiders, Red Tags, PTN's and Pennels are a great way to start, relatively simple flies that will catch fish. Use the Step by Steps and have fun :D

StuDoig

Hi All,
       Fair points re: starter kits - it was a worry that crossed my mind, they may get me started but not neccesarily ending up with flies I actually want! 

I've have a good look at Donalds thread for inspiration.  The database on here seems pretty good too now I've looked at it for figuring out what materials I'll need.

Other handy bit will be figuring out what flies I need........ :)

Off for my first try at river fishing tomorrow so cannae wait for that!

Cheers,

Stu

theladdie1892

Im pretty new to the forum, though I have been fishing for a few years. I used to tie my own flies when I was a young lad, but havent done so for years. but since reading this I have been inspired to get back into it as I cant think of anything better or more satisfying thatn catching a fish on a fly I have tied, I just hope it happens.

Anybody got any pointers on starter kits? ie what to get and where? how much should i look to spend? that kind of thing.

Thanks,

Chris

scotty9

Just as an aside... on my backcountry trip last week we caught on flies we tied there based on the naturals hatching as the fish would not take anything else. If we hadn't been tying, we wouldn't have caught.

Malcolm

Start off very slowly Chris. Get some good simple basic tools: vice, scissors, dubbing needle (make it yourself)  and bobbin holders to start. Then you'll need some thread, varnish and materials. Start off just by making simple seals fur dry flies or spiders and work up from there. You will probably find a fly dressing club near you but they often stop in the summer.

Steve Parton is very good for basic kit. Call him on 0115 9463 572.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page