News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Yellow Sally

Started by The Bandy Man, May 22, 2011, 11:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bandy Man

I want to tie up some flies to represent Yellow Sallies as I've been told that there can be good hatches of them in the evenings around here. I've found a few patterns which I can use, but I'm not sure what size the insect actually is. So, what size of hook would best suit imitating this insect?

John

bibio1

I would go for a size 14. They're big flees and very yellow.

Cheers

Paul

Fishtales

A lot of the ones I see have a greenish tinge to them :dunno

Try...

Tails  a few yellow cock fibres
Body  yellow dubbing with a small amount of light green or olive mixed in wound slim
Hackle  yellow cock short wound either side of wing
Wing   white polypropylene tied upright
Hook  #14 (as Paul says)

Also a good pattern for the Yellow May Dun.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

haresear

QuoteA lot of the ones I see have a greenish tinge to them

Me too.

I have often heard the Yellow May Dun wrongly called a Yellow Sally, so that may be what the locals are referring to.

Alex
Protect the edge.

The Bandy Man

Thanks folks.

Yes it may well be the Yellow May Dun that the guy was referring to. I'll tie up a few different patterns which should represent both species (on 14's).

John

Ian_M

Ian

The Bandy Man

Malcolm

John,

We have huge hatches of the Yellow May Dun on the River Leven. It's incredibly frustrating trying to get them to take the dries. I do much better with sub surface imitations than the surface ones and tend to fish two flies - a spider (partridge and red or partridge and yellow) and a dry on the tail. For whatever reason with the YMD I simply can't get them to take damp emerger type flies. If I can get the dries to sit proud of the surface then they are more successful. I've got a new pattern awaiting testing at the moment. It's got a palmered CDC and yellow hen hackle and dyed Snowshoe wing. I'll be trying it out this week    
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

The Bandy Man

Quote from: Malcolm on May 22, 2011, 12:47:10 PM
John,

We have huge hatches of the Yellow May Dun on the River Leven. It's incredibly frustrating trying to get them to take the dries. I do much better with sub surface imitations than the surface ones and tend to fish two flies - a spider (partridge and red or partridge and yellow) and a dry on the tail. For whatever reason with the YMD I simply can't get them to take damp emerger type flies. If I can get the dries to sit proud of the surface then they are more successful. I've got a new pattern awaiting testing at the moment. It's got a palmered CDC and yellow hen hackle and dyed Snowshoe wing. I'll be trying it out this week    

Thanks Malcolm, it'll be interesting to know how you get on. I don't really know whether the guy I talked too was really referring to Yellow Sallies or Yellow Mays. What he did say was that the bigger troots only come up when the 'Yellow Sallies' are on. He suggested a Greenwells Spider as an imitation. I'll be out during the week, so hopefully I'll find something out then.

John

bibio1

I've found a greenwells DHE  a good imitation at the start of the seasons hatch but my experience is that after a fortnight of gorging themselves on them the troots become very hard to tempt.

It's good while it lasts though.

The chap you were speaking too probably meant the yellow may dun and not the stone flee.

Cheers

Paul

Go To Front Page