News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Yellow Sally

Started by The Bandy Man, May 22, 2011, 11:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black-Don

Interesting thread but I thought yellow sally's were Stoneflies ( as per entomology thread ) and that trout didn't eat adult or emerging stoneflies ?  :? :?

Malcolm

Donald,

Yellow sallies are indeed stoneflies but people often call things by the wrong name.

Bandy was told they were yellow sallies but it is possible that the person was describing the Yellow May Dun - you can see big hatches of them at this time of year in the evenings - or even the pale evening dun or yellow evening dun.

I remember Alex posted on another thread that he saw a large stonefly being hammered by a good trout. I've never been aware of trout going for large stoneflies. I've watched hundreds of them on the water too!
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

east wind

I'm another one who has had some frustrating times during hatches of YMD, and I'm beginning to go for the false rise during the day and true rise between 7pm and 9pm theory.

I have a few elaborate creations ready but i seem to remember a dry spider pattern doing OK. Light Cahill thread with both partridge and grey hackles.  
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

The Bandy Man

Great feedback guys. Thanks for that.

I'm out on the river on Thursday, so I'll let you know what the score is. Sometime over the next few weeks I'll figure out whether we're talking Yellow Mays or Yellow Sallies, and I'll let you know.

John

Go To Front Page