News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Go To Dry Flies And Pattern Innovation

Started by Wildfisher, May 29, 2011, 08:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Thinking back over the past two or three seasons without doubt my go-to dry has been a parachute Adams  in various sizes. The Adams really is the American Greenwells Glory. A super versatile, multi-suggestive pattern.  I reckon it?s an even better fly  than the Greenwells: easy to spot, floats like a cork and seldom fails.  God Bless America!  :D

If I was allowed to carry only 3  dry flies, in various sizes,  they would be parachute Adams, ginger hackled haresear Kinkhamer and the Elk Hair Caddis. Strikes me  that list does not contain  a single UK pattern, far less a Scottish one. Has fly design innovation (for real trout fishing as opposed to stockie bashing) passed on from the UK?

Malcolm

On stillwaters the good old hopper, cdc suspender buzzer and seals fur dry (probably centuries old) are my mainstays and on the river the compara/sparkle dun and snowshoe dun with a CDC collar hackle serve me very well. Isn't the sedgehog Scottish?
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

Quote from: Malcolm on May 29, 2011, 09:11:31 PM
Isn't the sedgehog Scottish?

Stan's.  However, Stan is in a class of his own. No other loch fisher in Scotland comes even close.

Harpo

Quote from: Steve on May 29, 2011, 08:30:52 PM
I am busy tying up some Dirty Polly dries right now a pattern I only found out about through here

I think that paattern only exists on here :D
caught me my biggest Trout

scotty9

The simple fact is that there is not another country in the world that can truly compete in inventing and innovating..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_inventions_and_discoveries

Wildfisher

Quote from: Ardbeg on May 29, 2011, 11:31:55 PM
Scotland is more renowned for spiders and loch wet flees than dries though.

True, but new patterns are not necessarily innovation. Adding a red tag to a black spider and calling it a "machair spider",  :roll:  well technically it may  be a new pattern but it is hardly innovative. 

Innovation is seen in patterns like the Dutch designed Klinkhamer that have had a massive impact internationally.  Even the DHE was, arguably, evolution (I think even Bob has said that), but I would certainly class it as new and innovative with it's no hackle design. The hedgehog was also no hackle, but is it well known and lauded outside wee Scotland?  I doubt it.

Wildfisher

Quote from: scotty9 on May 30, 2011, 03:24:05 AM
The simple fact is that there is not another country in the world that can truly compete in inventing and innovating..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_inventions_and_discoveries

I don't see much about fly design in there Scott, mechanical TV design that was quickly superseded by Polish electronic innovation, yes,  fly design, no.   :lol:

Let's try to stay on topic please, this is about flies.   :D

Darwin

Quote from: admin on May 30, 2011, 07:27:13 AM
... The hedgehog was also no hackle, but is it well known and lauded outside wee Scotland?  I doubt it.

I am trying to help with that, soon as I figure out how to catch with it!   :?

Wildfisher

Quote from: Darwin on May 30, 2011, 08:03:23 AM
I am trying to help with that, soon as I figure out how to catch with it!   :?

Here it is most often fished as a pulled wake fly  and is especially attractive to Scottish bandies. Some fish it as a loch dry, but I find a bit  too heavily dressed and prefer the likes of an Elk Hair Caddis, a Hopper -   or  CDC and Elk if the fish are in a more fussy mood. I have found it useless on rivers, but admit to not having  given it much of a chance.

Swifty

Hi All,

I could probably get through a season on rivers with two dries,  klink special (grey dubbing body and red game hackle) and a baloon caddis. When I am not catching on other flies I usually switch back to these two.  Both quite innovative in their way but beginning to feel old fashioned now.  Thats not to say I go to the river with two dry flies,  why carry two flies when you can carry 200.   

Cheers,

Mark

Go To Front Page