News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

just started fly fishing.

Started by bruce, June 18, 2011, 11:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruce

i have just started fly fishing, and i'm having problems before i even get on the water.  i thing is that dont know which flies i should be use at any time of the season. could anyone suggest book that would tell me which fly i should use  and suggest the best time to use it ??.  thanks. 

haresear

Where are you fishing Bruce? Lochs or river?

Alex
Protect the edge.

bushy palmer

Quote from: Alan on June 19, 2011, 04:15:36 PM
a dry fly on the surface should look like what they are eating, which is choosing the fly based on observation, skill rather than formula,

:roflmao  what a lot o shite! :D.

Whether your fishing dry or wet get some broon ones, some black ones and some light ones- make as much observations as you like but if the broon one disnae work, try the black one, and if the black one disnae work. . . .

donald

Quote from: bushy palmer on June 19, 2011, 04:48:06 PM
:roflmao  what a lot o shite! :D.

Whether your fishing dry or wet get some broon ones, some black ones and some light ones- make as much observations as you like but if the broon one disnae work, try the black one, and if the black one disnae work. . . .

served me well over the years :8)

Inchlaggan

1) If, in the boat, you are catching fish and your mate is not, give him your flee and put on a new one.
2) Your mate will not catch fish, nor will you.
3) Revert to your original selections.
4) Neither of you will catch fish.
5)Look at the weather, suck your breath through your teeth.
6) Each of you then, randomly, selects one of the seven fly boxes available and then, carefully, selects a flee from the 100 in the box.
7) One, other, both or neither of you will catch a fish.
8) When one of you catches more fish than the other, go to step (1).
Repeat.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

bruce

Quote from: bruce on June 18, 2011, 11:41:30 PM
i have just started fly fishing, and i'm having problems before i even get on the water.  i thing is that dont know which flies i should be use at any time of the season. could anyone suggest book that would tell me which fly i should use  and suggest the best time to use it ??.  thanks.
thanks for the varied and very interesting replies.  i will be loch fishing from the bank and i would like to try the wet fly first,  also i have got a few loch flies which got from my local tackle shop, who is a fisher aswell, so they should be ok.

haresear

Bruce,

Wet fly is probably a good way to get to grips with casting, retrieving and thinking about depth and speed.

Personally, as a starting point, I'd go for something about the size and colour of what flies you see on the water. They will likely be black, brown, olive or grey.

Put your bushy fly on the bob to create a surface disturbance and a slim one on the tail to get just below the surface. As you get more experience, you will discover that sometimes you need to get a bit deeper and can then think about using weighted flies or intermediate lines.

Alex
Protect the edge.

bruce

Quote from: Inchlaggan on June 19, 2011, 05:58:23 PM
1) If, in the boat, you are catching fish and your mate is not, give him your flee and put on a new one.
2) Your mate will not catch fish, nor will you.
3) Revert to your original selections.
4) Neither of you will catch fish.
5)Look at the weather, suck your breath through your teeth.
6) Each of you then, randomly, selects one of the seven fly boxes available and then, carefully, selects a flee from the 100 in the box.
7) One, other, both or neither of you will catch a fish.
8) When one of you catches more fish than the other, go to step (1).
Repeat.
i was hoping for genuine replies, i dont know what this . i hope you are not making a joke about my inexperience of fishing.

Traditionalist

Quote from: bruce on June 18, 2011, 11:41:30 PM
i have just started fly fishing, and i'm having problems before i even get on the water.  i thing is that dont know which flies i should be use at any time of the season. could anyone suggest book that would tell me which fly i should use  and suggest the best time to use it ??.  thanks.  

May be of assistance to you;

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/The-Best-Flies_W0QQugidZ10000000004042288

A very difficult question to answer without a lot more information. Where do you fish?  What for? What methods and gear will you be using? etc.

TL
MC

EDIT:  I see you are loch fishing, ( having now read the whole thread!).  One of the very best "Beginner's" books I know of, which is very seldom mentioned is "Lightfoot & Whay's"  Stillwater Trout  Fly-Fisher's Ready Reference.  A very small pocketbook (72 pages).

You can get a copy here;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Still-water-Trout-Fly-fishers-Ready-Reference-A-W-/170630234265

It was only 1.95 UK Pounds when I bought some at WHSmith many years ago, for my collection and to hand out at lessons, but it is still the best beginner's book I know of.

Oops, no longer available there either!  You may find it if you search the online bookshops. Otherwise drop me a mail and I will send you a copy.

Fishtales

Quote from: bruce on June 20, 2011, 12:32:14 AM
i was hoping for genuine replies, i dont know what this . i hope you are not making a joke about my inexperience of fishing.

What Ken says is perfectly true, if tongue in cheek :)

Everything he says will happen the point is not to get disheartened or bogged down with too much information. Go fishing with the flies you have and the ones PA recommends and you will eventually catch fish. Enjoy the fishing even when you aren't catching.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Go To Front Page