News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

CDC flys and floatant

Started by islaangler, August 28, 2011, 12:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

islaangler

Hi
do you use a dryfly floatant on CDC flys or rely on their natural oils.

Cheers

davefromtheattic

I think it depends on the type of feather you use. I bought a bulk bag from Cookshill, which I found to have lots of small feathers. I just use them for emergers and duns with a tiny bit of silicone mucilin and keep the larger for cdc and elk. I'm interested to hear what others do though.

superscot

have tried them with and with out ! i prefer without ! Floatant

Wildfisher

Buy some dry shake which is basically silica gel powder. When the cdc fly gets wet dry out with a tissue,  amadou patch or vigorous false cast  then put it in the dry shake and give it a shake. Good as new. I would not be without dry shake for cdc flies. As Col has noted, do not put floatant near them. It will clog up and destroy the feather structure.
Dry Shake is very expensive, this is an alternative I am trying out

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUST-N-DRY-FLY-POWDER-FLOATANT-NEW-Fly-Fishing-/250599546236?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item3a58e59d7c

bibio1

What I do is rub the CDC on your fleece when yir fishing. Works a treat.

Paul

Highlander

There is an American product that is now available over here I tried some years ago which is first class for CDC flies.
It is called Frogs Fanny. I tried to import it years back when I first became aware of it but they wanted a bona fide distributor & I did not fit their bill. There are a few UK distributors now including the one listed below. Pricy but good never the less.
Tight Lines
http://www.fliesonline.co.uk/accessories/general-accessories/frogs-fanny.html
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

davefromtheattic

Frog's Fanny is fumed silica dioxide (if I remember correctly) and can be bought online in bulk for pennies. The frogs fanny applicator bottle is handy though, so buy one then refill.

Clan Chief

Widnae fancy typing that intae a google search  :lol:

shanksi

What's the matter with fumed silica dioxide?  :lol:

Amadan

I definitely rate Frog's Fanny too. The other silica powders I have tried were probably just as good but the applicator in the bottle (basically a small brush mounted in the cap so you can apply it just to the CDC wing of the fly) is what makes the FF stand out I reckon- I think when the lot I have runs out then I am going to resort to grinding down silica crystals etc in a blender or whatever as its cheaper

Although if davefromtheattic can recommend an online stockist that delivers in quantities of less than 5 tonnes then might buy fumed silica dioxide that way (all I could see from a quick google were bulk suppliers- that said if 10 of us chipped in we could have half a tonne each?  :shock: )

Martin

Go To Front Page