News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

uv resin

Started by col, September 08, 2011, 08:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

Hi ,another nails post!!  :gay4 i'm just about to get a uv lamp and some uv resin (time to throw all epoxies away!). I was wondering though if anyone knew if nail gel is one in the same product marketed as uv resin such as Bug Bond, if they are do you know if it's top coat or builder?  :gay4  it's for pike flies honest!

Thanks Col

Traditionalist

Quote from: col on September 08, 2011, 08:10:14 PM
Hi ,another nails post!!  :gay4 i'm just about to get a uv lamp and some uv resin (time to throw all epoxies away!). I was wondering though if anyone knew if nail gel is one in the same product marketed as uv resin such as Bug Bond, if they are do you know if it's top coat or builder?  :gay4  it's for pike flies honest!

Thanks Col

Yes, it's basically the same thing,  builder and sealant, in various colours etc. Unfortunately the information I have is all in German. Here are two  suppliers;

http://www.nded.de/uv-gel-farbgel/

http://www.nails.de/de/UV-Gel/Premium-Edition

The builder is the "Aufbaugel"  and the sealant or topcoat is the Versiegelungsgel. There is also the UV-Quick finish which is a high gloss topcoat.

TL
MC

Traditionalist

Quote from: col on September 08, 2011, 08:26:04 PM
Thanks Mike do you know if you need the top coat?

You don't "need" it for making flies, but it does give a nice tough gloss finish.  Also, some stuff has different properties "flows" differently and gives a "flatter" finish.

For the majority of fly work the builder is fine by itself. All depends on what you want to do. You might only want the topcoat for some stuff.

I see Scotfly has given you an e-bay link, that's probably your best bet.

TL
MC

scotfly

It's what some of the guys who are advertising the "branded"  stuff are using. It's a bit thick straight out of the bottle so add a little thinner to it.

Wildfisher

What's the correct thinner to use Dennis?

Traditionalist

That stuff is amazingly cheap 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-UV-Topcoat-Acrylic-Nail-Art-Gel-Top-Coat-Polish-/290472433640?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Nails_Manicure_Pedicure_CA&hash=item43a18197e8

If Scotfly has used it then it will be fine.  Some of the topcoat stuff I tried was no good for building up heads. It was pretty thin.  I used the builder for that, and the topcoat as a final coat.

TL
MC

scotfly

Quote from: admin on September 08, 2011, 08:35:06 PM

The one in my post Fred. It's called cleaner, but it's the same thing.

Be aware that the uv varnish is not tack-free, but a wipe with the thinners (cleaner) or a final coat of "normal" varnish will fix it.

Traditionalist

Quote from: admin on September 08, 2011, 08:35:06 PM

You can use a mixture ( 50/50 ) of acetone and alcohol ( ethanol). but you must not use too much or the stuff wont cure. A couple of drops at most is usually enough for most things.

I am fairly sure that's the same stuff they are offering as thinner on the e-bay link as well.  You must not use nail varnish cleaner, as it often contains other stuff besides acetone and alcohol, and again it will prevent the resin form curing.

TL
MC

scotfly

One other thing. Don't be tempted to put some on your finger nail and cure it with the torch like I did for a laugh at BFFI. You'd be surprised at how much heat is generated in the curing process!  :shock:

Go To Front Page