News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Worms!!!

Started by Traditionalist, September 08, 2011, 08:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traditionalist

OK, so we have been into false fingernails, intimate hair combs, and nail varnish, but if you want to go really "Hard Core", you need to get into hair bands as well. If you thought asking for particular shades of varnish was embarrassing, then just wait until you go looking for these! :)

Crimp the metal bit twice, once at each end, and then cut it through the middle. Tie this to a hook, give it a drop of epoxy;

Congratulations!! You are the proud possessor of the best ragworm imitation known to modern science! They come in all the right colours, green,brown, red, etc They only cost a few pence.They are made of braided fritz chenille, on  an elastic core. Extremely mobile and very very good lures. Practically indestructible as well! There were a dozen on this card but I have already given a few patterns away. Anybody who sees this in your box, and does not read this site will think you are a genius fly-dresser! I have taken a fair number of seatrout on this, and a green version, a few cod as well. These things are called "scrunchies" in England. I got these at Woolworths locally. I got some funny looks because I bought all the cards they had. You can´t beat a perfect ragworm imitation for about five pence!

Some Americans who tried them told me they worked great for bass as well.

Quite a few people asked about these worms, and offered various comments ( Some printable!!! :) ), and ( more or less useful ! ) feedback. These cards of stuff can be found in chain-stores, supermarkets etc. These are the ones I use. I bought them at a local Woolworths for 1.99 Euro per card;

They  come in a large range of colours. This is only a small selection as I mainly want them for ragworm imitations.
The other small bands on the card may be used for various things. I used a few for beetle backs and similar. You can also make various "artificial maggots", and caddis etc with them. I cut the cards with the relevant material off! The plastic hair holders etc I give away as I have not found a use for them as yet, ( this is only a matter of time!!)

These make nice "filler" gifts for various occasions, and if you have teenage daughters, friends with teenage daughters , people who play with dolls, ( or other people you don´t like much! :) ) , you can get rid of the stuff there! The bright pink ragworm has done some damage in winter by the way! I got my largest winter ( February, on Als) seatrout on it , 10.7 kilos. A magnificent fish. Unfortunately I have no photo, as my camera refused to operate, ( probably because of the cold).

You can crimp the stuff as originally shown, or you can tie it off with heavy thread on either side of the crimp, and then remove the crimp. DON´T TRY TO REMOVE THE CRIMP FIRST!!!! The stuff will unravel!

However, I think one of the reasons these things are so successful, is because of the weight on the end. When jerked , they cringle and wriggle just like the real thing. As with all my flies, I want flies that look realistic, TO THE FISH! and behave realistically. It is no use having something very lifelike if it does not behave correctly! You might catch a fish on it of course, but as a rule such things are fairly useless. So, if you cut the crimp off, add a large split shot ( Swan shot) or similar to the tail end of the fly.

You can also bind a single or treble hook to the end of the fly. The "Fly body" is very strong, and will easily hold even large fish, but I have found just a single hook at the head works well, as the fish tend to engulf these flies anyway. If you use rear hooks, then you risk hooking a fish deeply. This is no use if you intend to release it. There are in any case a number of flies you should not use if you want to release fish. Of course, using stuff like this is not "The fine old traditional art of fly-dressing" we normally wot of! But it is very cheap and effective, and it catches fish!

There is little point ( in my opinion) in spending a great deal of time and effort in trying to produce something like this at the dressing bench, ( and usually failing miserably !!) ) when it is readily available for a few cents.

Tight Lines! ~ Mike Connor

deergravy

Brilliant! :D

On edit: Just read your other threads - fantastic stuff! :applause

alba

kemp355

I saw a nice pink rod in the local tackle shop that would match for a cordinated outfit lol

alba

Quote from: kemp355 on September 08, 2011, 10:06:33 PM
I saw a nice pink rod in the local tackle shop that would match for a cordinated outfit lol

I know the rod your talking about lol

Traditionalist

Quote from: guest on September 08, 2011, 10:05:37 PM
Great stuff Mike but you're a man I wouldn't like to go shopping with :lol:

Glad you like it!  I am working my way up ( or would that be down? ) to the knicker elastic.  You wouldn't believe the complications which arise from that, especially if you don't like shopping for it! :)

Regards and tight lines!

Mike

alba

am gonna have to try top this with a heavy wire nymph ribbed with a bra wire haha

Go To Front Page