News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Foam Beetle Pattern

Started by Rabmax, December 07, 2011, 06:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Scott Sanchez' Mega Beetle is a good all round choice. I have not had a problem with them not landing right way up,  but IMO they do need a wing post to make them visible, even on lochs. They float very  low in the water.

Malcolm

This is one of my standard searching patterns. I also use floating beetles in deer hair which I prefer slightly but it is more fragile.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Rabmax

Quote from: Malcolm on December 08, 2011, 01:57:54 PM
This is one of my standard searching patterns. I also use floating beetles in deer hair which I prefer slightly but it is more fragile.

Your floating beetle isn't something like this double Humpy Malcolm. Tying a Double Humpy Comparadun by Davie McPhail
I used this one a couple of years ago it's deadly but found it's a pain to tie so it sort of evolved into something like this Humpy.
http://goo.gl/w2r0U
But mine has a short snowshoe tail snowshoe cover on top of my dubbed body & split snowshoe wing.I leave out the hackle & dub a little snowshoe thorax.I have it in all different dubbed bodies but find all i need is peacock green spectra dubbing or brown olive ice dub.I used to think that the cdc & elk was good until i started using this.You can probably tell i like snowshoe rabbit :).Cheers all

Malcolm

Just like the body on that one Rabmax. It actually works at its best when there are just a few broken bits of deer hair. Incidently I am a big fan of doubled flies - I have quite a few doubled dry flies on here at various places. Ones I perticularly like are the double caenis spinner and the double sparkle dun. I've vever yet tied the doubled humpy.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Darwin

Quote from: admin on December 08, 2011, 01:30:40 PM
Scott Sanchez' Mega Beetle is a good all round choice. I have not had a problem with them not landing right way up,  but IMO they do need a wing post to make them visible, even on lochs. They float very  low in the water.
Thanks for that!  Nice pattern to add to my box.    .D.  Thanks for the SBS, goood one  :D

Darwin

This is a new one to me that I am playing around with, Japanese Beetle.  No real test on the water yet.

Wildfisher

I certainly like the look of that one Darwin

haresear

The japanese job looks like it will cast into a wind well. I must tie a few of those.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Darwin

Here is a pattern I picked up in a fly shop, Wilcox's Glo-Ant (#16 hook).  It was created by Vince Wilcox and these are pictures from his website.  This fly actually seemed to piss off the trout, they would often try and drown it before taking it...  never seen this behavior before.
The body is midge braid with foam over the top.  Vince adds the colourful foam to make it easier to see, and it works.
(feel free to edit or delete if mentioning a retailer is not allowed)

Go To Front Page