News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Any Ideas ?

Started by Black-Don, December 07, 2011, 10:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black-Don

When I was a kid, learning to tie flies, I had access to some books which if I remember right were basically step by steps for the various types of flies.

I'd love to get my hands on a copy of these again. If I am correct, they took the format of having material types, standard patterns, techniques and then - now this might be the main clue as I know I'm right here - they had a section of about 4 - 6 pages of " colour plates " which showed on each about twelve of the type of flies being studied in full colour.

The books were just smaller if not in fact A4 size and had full colour sleeves over a dark plain blue hardback cover, I think. Each book in the series ( if it was even a series of books ) was about 1 1/2 inches thick. It may have been the fifty popular flies series but I just can't remember.

Any ideas ?

Highlander

I'll have to have a think about it but it is not "50 Popular Flies" which were soft backs or the later "200 Popular Flies" which was a hard back. Neither had colour plates. Veniard books of a similar vein were around way back but how long is way back. Your way back may not tally with mine.

I have got to have seen it but I will have a wee think.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Black-Don

Veniard rings a bell and there could have been a gold or silver fly on the hard cover.

" Fly Dressing " seems to ring a bell as being part of the title.

Must've been circa 35 years ago when I was using them Alan and the books could have been older. It's possible it was a single book with different sections on different types of fly. I.e. dry,wet etc,.

I know this isn't much of a help but I distinctly remember the plates having pictures of a zulu, coch-y-bondhu, iron blue dun, I'm sure there was a royal coachman, could've been a grey wulf too as well as many of the other common flies of yesteryear but I don't want to confuse my memory with imagination by naming other flies that weren't there and send someone off on the wrong track.  :?

Hope this helps.

Malcolm

David Collyer - "Fly Dressing"?
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Black-Don

I'll look at that Malcolm.

Black-Don

I think it's the Veniards book Davy as I was able to see a photo on e-bay of one of the plates. I've ordered 1  from Amazon for £6.95 delivered  :shock: but because I'm not used to buying old books may have ordered 1 without a dust cover.

I'll know better in future.

Thanks to all. The Collyer book looks interesting Malcom and I may try to pick one up  too !

deergravy

Dave Collyer rings a bell, tho I don't think it's the book Black Don is thinking of.
This was a horrible pulpy paperback with recipes for obscure American streamer patterns - I remember the Chief Needebah, Parmacheen Belle and Gutenburgs Jersey Minnow.   Hey, where would we be without that lot?
This was about the only fly-tying book available (as far as I knew) in 1983.
Can't remember for sure if it was Collyer's book, but it was my bible for a while. And what a rubbish bible!
To be fair, it did explain the whip finish very well.

Traditionalist

I don't  think that was Collyer. Sounds like one of Veniards.  He had a load of stuff with awful drawings of American flies.

TL
MC

deergravy

Quote from: Alan on December 10, 2011, 07:32:44 PM

ahh the Parmacheen Belle, from fly tyings baroque period :8)

I'd say more from it's rococo period, either way, a load of shite.

Malcolm

I've never heard of the Jersey minnow but the chief needebah was used on the English reservoirs when I were but a lad. Quite popular too. The parmachene belle looks an ideal candidate for the Endrick Bug treatment for next year!
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page