News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Silicone Oil, silicon, polymerized siloxanes ( Or Fly Floatant )

Started by Rabmax, December 15, 2011, 06:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rabmax

Anyone else tried using Silicon Oil as a fly floatant.I normally treat the hackles or wings on my dries once tied at the vice with either silicone mucilin or watershed .I was running out so bought a litre of silicon oil from a local company to try out.I must say this stuff would eat silicone mucilin & watershed for breakfast or any other one i have tried best £9 i have spent on fishing ever  :D
http://www.bonnymans.co.uk/products/product.php?productID=6290&categoryID=1399
I think i have seen similar stuff on Ebay as well .Cheers

Inchlaggan

Polymerised Siloxanes- whit?
This fishing lark just got too complicated for me!
If it disnae come with an Ovris/Sage/Hardy/Stan label is cannot be any good.
And only nine quid, you're having a laugh surely  :shock:
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Rabmax

I haven't tried leaving treated flies over night yet to dry like you would with watershed.But should work as a pretreatment at the vice & at the stream when its been mauled a bit by lots of trout.It doesn't give of an oil slick like Gink & is virtually odorless.Wonder if something like this would work with CDC.It might just clog up the CDC pores but will give it a try anyway.I have spare empty water water shed bottles .Also the cap from an old fairy bottle fits the Silicone litre bottle for easy dispensing into your little bottles  Cheers all

Rabmax

If anyone is thinking about buying some from Bonnymans it might be a good idea to ask if they can get fumed silica as well for your CDC.Even if its not on there site i wouldn't be surprised if they can get it for you.Only problem is it might be 25 kg bag worth you need to buy.Cheers

Black-Don

That's a good find considering what it costs for wee bottles of gink.

Go To Front Page