News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

elk hair caddis

Started by col, December 17, 2011, 12:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

Not a fly i use often if at all, but maybe should a doddle to tie ticks so many boxes as a gp for a lot of our burns, rivers.  A question for those which do use them.what do you prefer palmered or hackle -less or is it besrt to carry both for water types (ie fast flowing - glides) any preferances on body colours. Has this fly lost a bit preferance in your box since flies such as cdc and elk or do you still find it a big player?

Col

Wildfisher

I use this fly a lot in summer col. A habit I picked up from Alex. I use fairly heavy palmered  jobs, all brownish, sizes 16 to 10. Bigger  fly in the fastest water just so's I can see it.  It's a great pattern on highland burns and lochs (worked well on Watten and other Caithness waters last June) . I don't even bother tying them, usually buying   dozens at a time for peanuts from the US. Another habit I picked up from that lazy bugger Alex.  :lol:

ps. when these cheepos fall to bits - that is the hackle comes off after  a load of fish -  they become deer hair sedges.    Two flies for  the price of one. :8)

Wildfisher

Quote from: col on December 17, 2011, 12:45:33 PM
Hi fred, Brownish- would that be say brown hackle and haresear body? sounds like a good all rounder, i'll get busy on the vice tonight.

Aye. sorry col, I should have more specific - brown hackle, various  body colours - green, yellow, haresear brown, black etc etc. Not sure it makes much odds, but yellow / green worked well when the green drakes were on the Caithness lochs

Go To Front Page