News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What's in my fly box !

Started by Black-Don, February 15, 2012, 12:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty9

Quote from: admin on February 23, 2012, 07:12:39 PM
Me too. American dries like these, especially ones with split hair wings like the Royal Wulff always seem to drift with one wing on the water. The design is top heavy and unstable.

Just come across this thread, nice flies! Re winged dries landing one wing down in the water, I wouldn't necessarily see that as a bad thing, might make a cracking suggestive image on the surface.

Something to try Donald is tie in deer hair comparadun style, then split it with your thread to make two wings, tie in some dubbing in front to make the wings stand vertical. I tie my version of royal wulffs that way (mainly cause I don't have calf tail!) and it works a treat. Makes a very robust fly, looks good too and perhaps most surprisingly doesn't seem to spin when cast. Give it a go as an alternative to feather wings.

Darwin

Quote from: admin on February 23, 2012, 07:12:39 PM
Me too. American dries like these, especially ones with split hair wings like the Royal Wulff always seem to drift with one wing on the water. The design is top heavy and unstable.
I agree with the Admin fellow, although the TMC 9300 helps a wee bit.  It is a bit heavier than a normal dry fly hook and I think it helps to set the fly right.

scotty9

TMC 9300 is a brilliant hook, will stand up to having a nymph tied off the back of it in turn attached to large NZ trout!  :8)

Go To Front Page