News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Head varnish

Started by James, August 06, 2012, 12:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

Since i started tying flies i have just been using Veniard varnish.
but i find after a period of time it starts to go strange , becomes thicker and wont soak into the thread as much and when it dries it just does not seem right.

Is Sally han worth the expense ? as i have had a look and can only seem to find it for £4 a bottle before delivery.

Traditionalist

4 quid is excessive. Any cheap nail varnish, nail lacquer, or nail "polish" will do.  The last stuff I got was 3 bottles for a Euro in a "pound store". ( Obvously a "Euro store" in this case).   Works great and has lasted a very long time.

The Veniards is OK but tends to thicken up and dry out quite quickly.  You have to be careful to replace the cap, only varnish flies when you have a few finished.  It is not worth trying to thin it, usually the thinners is about the same price as the varnish, and it will not work beyond a certain point.

These work fine;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miss-Sporty-Lasting-Colour-Polish/dp/B008JBE1S4/ref=sr_1_3?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1344247704&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saffron-Nail-Polish-ref-46/dp/B005A4X1Q6/ref=sr_1_154?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1344247987&sr=1-154

If you want a bit more then get a set. As long as you don't open the bottles they will keep for a very long time;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Polish-Clear-Varnishes-Polishes-Sets/dp/B004F597D2

You can usually find the clear varnish in a good supermarket or similar as well. 

TL
MC

Fishtales

I think the stuff I have is Boots clear acrylic nail polish, or something like that. Have been using the same bottle for years and it is still ok.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

James

Cheers lads.

Will have a look at the links and boots.
Was not sure what else would work and everyone just goes on about Sally Han.
but i was not wanting to spend £4 lol then delivery.

yeah i have given up with the Veniards , i put the lid back on in between flies , store it in the dark ( just so happens i keep all my materials in the dark lol ) and i am getting fed up with it going strange and spoiling a good fly.

Highlander

If you want to use a "good" fly tyers varnish then the American
Fly-Tite is probably the best. I have not used the "Pound Shop" & probably never will. Whilst others say that it is fine I personally would be skeptical about it's suitability . Sally Hansen Hard as Nails is good especially for varnishing bodies & larger type flies such as Salmon Pike & Saltwater as it gives a bullet proof finish but for small Trout flies it's a pricey over kill. Veniard like many others will thicken over time. If you get a small can of cellulose thinners, that will thin your varnish but it must be cellulose.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

dazdidge

I use the Veniards stuff and haven't had a problem with it...............................yet

But I do what Mike said above, I wait until I have a decent amount of flees tied up and do them all in one go. I didn't start doing this to stop it drying out, but because I have had a couple of accidents with tipping the bottle over and spilling it everywhere! You ever tried to get that stuff out of a pink carpet before the missus comes home? I have somehow managed to hide the stain for the last two years so far, fingers crossed she wont notice until we decide to replace it through general wear :lol:

daz

garryh

you can also get thinners from veniard ,a wee drop into the varnish every now and then keeps it thin.

Garry
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

Darwin

I also like fly-tight, $4 for 2oz and it can be diluted with denatured alcohol.  I think denatured alcohol is under $10 per quart.  Not very strong odors.
Gloss Coat  $4 for 1oz also works well, it is clear Lacquer.  Home centers here have it for $10 to $15 a quart and the thinner is $6 per quart.  Very strong odors if that matters. 

James

Being an Artist i am used to strong and strange odours  :lol:.. some of the things i have worked with were so strong you could still smell it for a day or 2 after using it.

I am not sure how much of an effect heat has on the varnish , but my bedroom is the warmest room in the house and gets into high 80's especially when the hot water boiler comes on which is under my bedroom.
i had a look for that fly- tite and dont think i will bother , as the one site i seen it on wants £3 delivery which is a little excessive i think. as it would then make it £5.60 for a bottle.

think i will stick with the nail varnish Mike linked to on Amazon  :D

Traditionalist

When it is warm the varnish solvent will evaporate a lot quicker. The fumes are also more intense as a result.  If you can, keep your varnish in the fridge and use it in a cool well ventilated place.

The cheap nail varnish works fine, I have treated thousands of flies with it.

TL
MC

Go To Front Page