News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Free standing magnifier

Started by myotis, August 18, 2012, 01:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myotis

Has anyone any suggestions for a good free standing magnifier  for tying flies, or indeed any other suggestions for dealing with my ailing eye sight.

I have looked at these in the past, for other reasons and the quality has been a bit variable.

Thanks,

Graham

Inchlaggan

Lidl have them in from time to time, I think you just missed quite a good one.
I use this for model-making

http://www.maplin.co.uk/22w-fluorescent-daylight-magnifier-lamp-47980

Probably over-sized for fly tying though.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

myotis

Thanks Inchlaggan, that looks the thing, but I "may" have solved the problem.

Just been shopping and Tescos had emergency reading glasses up to 3.5 dioptre. I bought a pair (£6) and they seem fairly good. Certainly much better than my prescription reading glasses, which this morning left me tying my first fly in several decades, more by touch than sight!

Might still give a magnifier a shot, as I suspect it will take some experimentation to work out what works for me.

Cheers,

Graham

Inchlaggan

That was my second option, I use some cheap 3x glasses as well.
The only reason I did not suggest them is that I have heard that it is not a good idea to use them for prolonged periods of time.
I use them only as required and return to my prescription goggles as soon as possible.
A point worth noting is to tell your optictian that you do intricate work, regularly, when you have your eye test. They can take this into account.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

myotis

I have now had longer to search other forums, and the magnifier you suggested seems to do crop up often, but there have also been comments on using the cheap magnifying spectacles. Those who have asked their opticians about this have been told it shouldn't be a problem.

But, I will ask when I next get my eyes tested.

Cheers,

Graham

Darwin

You should have your eyes checked every 2 or 3 years as my Dr tells me.  I find the plastic magnifiers to be junk, 2.5 or 3x readers are better but the focal length is short.  Everything I read points me to the larger frame-less glass magnifiers on an adjustable arm.  I also have the Optivisor Head Magnifier Lens, these are OK, but a bit awkward and short focal length.  I use these for micro flies.

myotis

Thanks Darwin,

I agree the working distance is a problem, but from other forums there seems to be several people recommending the same magnifier as Inchlaggan.

Do you have a particulare frameless magnifier in mind?

Cheers,

Graham

Darwin

This is what I am considering to get, or something similar. I am told and have read that the rimless causes less distractions and eye strain.  http://www.magnifier.com/hands_free_magnifier.htm
About half way down the page 'FS-2.5   2.5x Flexible Stand Gooseneck Hands Free Magnifier' $60. 
That way I could wear my normal specs and put the lens right near the vice.   I have not had one in my hands so I am not sure on the quality. ( I don't want to buy more poor quality junk) I do want to contact them and ask about the lens quality and return policy.  My eye doctor pointed me to a local company that specializes in visual aids for the visually impaired but I have not had time to follow up on that.

myotis

@Darwin

I found this that I wondered about, its a higher magnification than the Maplin one with the light, and of course is rimless as you suggest, not free standing though:

http://www.flytyingboutique.com/shop/product.cfm?product=262

Graham

Darwin

Graham,
That one looks promising and I would trust Phil's opinion on the quality.   :D   A portable base could easily be created in the workshop, or maybe the company has other models?  Worth asking his advise.

After a cuppa coffee I figured I should ask Google.  Looks to the be same company with a few more options, I would bet Phil could special order in one of the other models.  https://uk.daylightcompany.com/category/magnifiers/

Go To Front Page