News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Free standing magnifier

Started by myotis, August 18, 2012, 01:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myotis

Darwin, you beat me to it, it does seem there is a good choice. I just need to pass all this by my better half (who has just tied her first fly) as it will ha vr to double up for her craft/sewing work.

Graham

Darwin

smart move, it easier to justify the price if 2 of you are using it and it keeps peace in the house :)

myotis

Just to finish this off, I eventually bought one of these, as mentioned above.

http://uk.daylightcompany.com/product/flexilens-on-mini-clip-silver-black/

It's the model sold at several fly tying suppliers, but if you shop around, you can pick them up for half the retail price.

I decided against a built in light one, because I thought might be convenient to have the light position controlled independently of the magnifier, and, having the magnifier on its own, meant a smaller obstruction in front of the fly to work around. The price also helped the decision, as I felt that until I had tried one, I would't really know what I needed.

It has 90mm lens, and a 2.25 magnification, and so far, for three Baillie Black Spiders, I haven't found the magnifier has got in the way. You do however, need to take the time to get the distance to the fly, and the distance to your eye just right.  It is much better than the 3.5 dioptre reading glasses I bought.

The appalling quality of the three flies have nothing to with the magnifier, and everything to with me not tying any flies for forty years, and I have now found that not only is my eyesight a problem, my slightly arthritic fingers is making me very clumsy  :(

However, there is definite sign of rapid improvement, from the one I tried to tie "by feel" last week, to the one I tied this morning. Even managed a "by hand" whip finish this morning.  :D

Thanks to everyone who helped with my question.

Cheers,

Graham

Bobfly

Worth your looking at a head mounted magnifying visor - they really are much better than spectacle types.

It is a different option and it gives far far greater flexibility. Have a look at headband magnifiers which have a hinge up/down lens section mounted out in front. I use these for fly tying and all sorts of things. Any magnifying specs have the considerable disadvantage that as magnification increases so the depth of field in focus markedly reduces. This means that everything outwith the little thing you are looking at is out of focus. Your fly is in focus but nothing in front of it or behind it and when you look down for any materials on the desktop or go to pick up any tool it will not be in focus.

With a headband magnifier visor the lenses are about three inches out in front of your face, you continue to wear whatever specs you might use (if any) and you can simply look down below the magnifier lens to pick up or handle any materials with just a very small tilt of your head. Jewelers and model makers often much prefer the headband style.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

That's what I use Vaughan. Works well .

Inchlaggan

I own something similar, from Maplin I think, works very well in certain situations.
Nothing to do with your eyes but once you have a magnifier set up that suits, take some time to set up your table-top height and seating with the aim of keeping your back straight. Desk and table heights are rarely correct for fly-tying or minature work.
Back to you eyes, add plenty and I mean plenty of light.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Quote from: Inchlaggan on August 26, 2012, 03:19:50 PM
Back to you eyes, add plenty and I mean plenty of light.

Good point. Place I was last working the benches in the lab were checked for light levels. The actual minimum recommended / required light levels seem almost unbelievably high when you see them.  Most of us work in levels way below that and may be straining our eyes.

myotis

Thanks all. I did consider a headband magnifier, but as these things vary so much in quality I didn't know what to buy. At least the magnifier was on several fly tying sites, so it seemed to lessen the risk.

However, I will definitely add a headband magnifier as an option.

And, I totally agree about the lighting being important. The other important thing is to have a light even toned background to ensure maximum contrast in the fly detail.

Graham

Go To Front Page