News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Dessicant powder, CDC flies and floatants.

Started by Kelvin, October 02, 2012, 09:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

One of the most exciting aspects of angling for me is taking fish off the top. I have been reading up on dry fly fishing and see the use of a dessicant powder mentioned a lot by Oliver Edwards. Could anyone recommend a source of this powder and where to buy it. When I google it it takes me to bulk trade companies.
Also while trying to get my head round the technique of the dry fly and coming across the cdc feather. Now the cdc feather will not take a floatant but it is possible to treat with oil, is this right and if it is where do get this oil and when would you use it IE on the bank or at the vice.
Sorry for all the questions and would be grateful for any advice,
Cheers
Mark

Highlander

I do not know what one Mr Edwards uses may well be Shimaski Dry Shake ,there are a few about A good one I have found is the American made Frog's Fanny. Available in he UK, a google search should throw it up.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Wildfisher

Squigster

Quote from: admin on October 02, 2012, 11:01:36 PM
aye, but only until you catch something.  :lol:
Mines seems to last for a very long time :lol:

Wildfisher

CDC certainly catches fish, but it's  not a good choice where your are catching  lots of smaller fish. It is a pig to maintain. Read Wyatt's book, he hates the stuff too, probably based on his many holidays in Assynt - land of bandies. The Dry-Shake stuff really helps rejuvenate CDC quickly  and effectively. I would not be without it.

Darwin

Frog Fanny is good stuff.   I am reading on the other places of guys using the powder sold for Archery arrow feathers.  I think it is $7 for a good size bottle and I will give it a try this winter.

Kelvin

Cheers guys. The advice on here is brilliant.  I have sourced Dry Shake and Frog Fanny and will give both a shot. Still not sure about the oil,  I'm kinda thinking its for restoring CDC feathers after a bit of usage :?

ever tried a deer hair emerger with double the deer hair? unsinkable :8)
[/quote]

I really need to start fly tying :)

Guddler

I've only just started using a dessicant powder and have to say it worked brilliantly on my deer hair flies.
I pre-treat with a dunk in green mucillin liquid and leave to dry overnight before popping them back in my flybox. They're pretty good after this but brushing on some dessicant powder when they get a bit tired has them skating over the surface again instantly.

Traditionalist

If you just want to dry them use ground silica gel;

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=17025.msg181546#msg181546

I you want to dry AND waterproof them;

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=16538.msg176860#msg176860

The "wonder cloths" noted there are as good as amadou for drying flies. Moisten slightly, and squeeze dry before use, they will literally "suck" most flies dry immediately, also removing slime etc and are washable.

Oil is generally useless for CDC.

Go To Front Page