News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Fly swap

Started by Steve, June 15, 2004, 10:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

My fly for the swap will be a small but  unconventional ?lure? that looks  like something you would expect to see thrown at daft rainbows cowering in some murky dug-out hole that was  common agricultural policy set-aside during late 80?s but is now an outstanding example of rural diversification and free enterprise. Don?t  be fooled though, the ?Anorexic Variant?  is a variation on a pattern given to me by Allan and is a great fly to fish when the troots are sulking deep in bright weather but will nail them in any conditions. During the early season of 2004 it caught loads for me and replaced my old tail fly favourite the Silver Invicta on many occasions.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Allan LiddleAnd here's me thinking it was 'Carrie the Purist' as well. :twisted:
Never thought i'd see the day on Wild Fishing Scotland when a traditional was 'ditched' in favour of a LURE.  :shock:  
What's the world coming to?
By the way Fred Lochinsch was not too bad last weekend.  Pity i'd no camera with me though. :D

Allan.

Me  a purist?  never!
That?s OK about the photo BTW  here is one I took last time I did that kind of fishing.

Fan Tailed Blue Rainbow

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

rabbitangler

You obviously have never seen my picture!! :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: pocamanFred, your super flies arrived this morning, quite the thing for the back end I would think, when the fish are after fry.

Most kind of you Steve, but they are  a bit scruffy as I did not have much spare tying time. They are in fact  good at all times of the year, fished on the tail with a floating line is my normal method. The glass bead makes it go down like a stone. First outing this year in March I got  a dozen fish, I seem to remember that 10 of them fell to this fly. It?s a modified from a pattern that I got from Allan, although tied much smaller (10).

I  forgot to include a name and a pattern.

I have decided to call it ?

?Tear to a glass eye?   (coz of the glass bead)

Hook  :10
Thread : black or olive (does not really matter)
Head :  white / pink glass embroidery bead
Tail : black Marabou ? short - < ? ?
Body :  wide flat holographic tinsel
Wing : a very sparse bunch of Lurflash  fine olive holographic flash bright

Perhaps we should start another thread with the patterns? As they will get lost here?

rabbitangler

How goes the swap :?:  Name and shame those who are late!! :wink:

Richy

Sorry lads for being at the tail end but its been a bit crazy at my end.

Will post tomorrow and its the Heather Fly for me this time as it was the last flee that caught me a Broonie at Loch Ba on the 6th.

All the best

Richy

HOOK            SIZE 14
   THREAD         BLACK
   TAG & RIB     RED STRETCH FLOSS
   WING            LIGHT GREY ANTRON WOOL
   LEGS            TWO COCK PHEASANT FIBRES KNOTTED
   HACKLE        BLACK COCK

Richy

Cheers Steve,

Glad they made it to you without any problems.  Look forward to the new arrivals.

All the best

Richy

Richy

Steve,

Do we owe you some dosh for this way of posting ? Seems a bit unfair that you are left with footing the bill for the Fly Swap.  :(  :(

We could send you some dosh or buy you some beer at the next meet !!  :lol:

All the best and not going to work till the postie comes.  8)

Richy

Richy

Postie delivered this morning. Another 8 Boaby Dazzlers for the box.

Thanks again Steve for all your efforts in putting this together.

All the best

Richy

PS The postie asked me if I wanted to buy some extra flees from Moray.....  :wink:  :wink:

rabbitangler

Flies arrived today.  Crackers, particularly liked your wee emerger Allan, it looks as though it would work just about anywhere. I'll give it a whirl on Teusday for some stockies (if it's warm enough!!)

Your owed a beer for the postage pocaman!!

Tight lines

Peter

Go To Front Page