News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Mojo

Started by otter, January 08, 2013, 10:21:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otter

Most years the mojo comes back in november but for one reason or another it has evaded me this winter. Finally last night I managed to battle the lethargy and tied a few flies, a half dozen baillie purple spiders - basically a stewarts black with purple silk, a recommendation of Mikes for Iron Blues, a good un as they say.

I would gladly shag the next doors neighbours cat for a decent starling skin, a poor choice of fly to get back tying.  After much cussing I eventually found hackles that didnt break on the first wrap. The nymph box is seriously depleted so with the Mojo back it will be ready for march the 1st.

I do not not whether I hate this time of year or not, the anticpation does wonders but the days seem to countdown real slow, 66 to go..... :)

Wildfisher

Oddly enough I have had a bit of a tying urge myself this past few days. Sadly all my gear is in storage right now. Hopefully this will all change within the next few weeks. January is a l....o....n....g.... month

Traditionalist

This dark and cold and shivery often rainy season, tries anglers patience often far beyond good reason, the driving urge to cast a searching fly, the unkind winter rain and storms defy, the wish to cast his favourite rod again, may well drive even patient anglers half insane.

Roll on then clement spring and summer then, when anglers may well venture out again, and try out all the carefully constructed flies, in warmer and far more inviting fishy lies. Entrancing bird song, and the sight of lambs at play as along your favourite stream you slowly stray.

The lovely flies you tied in winters cruel grip, may bring success in spring on your first fishing trip, even those you think ridiculous monstrosities, the fishes early appetite may well appease, Midges gnats and spiders then may once again find favour, when yet again you venture forth your angling sport to savour.

Even wildly garish, weird, and quite absurd creations, may then wreak deadly havoc on fish populations, large weighted heads, cork bodies or even floating tails, may help to lay your piscine quarry on it´s shining silver scales. Or even shiny bugs with glistening plastic wings, or rubber legs and other artificial things.

Poppers, streamers, nymphs, or dry flies, even spinners, on some waters may in spring be winners, bushy flies in summer may be best, and should be carried always in your angling vest, and though the thought may make some anglers squirm, success may well be granted by a lowly worm.

Autumn then, the evening rise, ah what a lovely thought, and all those rising fish around just waiting to be caught. A rise, a cast, a take, a lovely fighting fish, is this not every genuine anglers fervent wish? So let us savour then with joy, anticipation, and not be sad at winters grim frustration.

Check your fishing diaries then for memories of angling trips gone by, the lovely brook or brown or rainbow that you caught, and view once more the killing fly, perhaps you need to fill your box anew, with just such faithful friends? Be grateful then for time and muse which winter often sends. The time to think of trips long past and over new ones ponder, as through the seasons on your favourite streams, lost in thought, you reminisce and wander.

Traditionalist

You can use some black hen hackle, it works OK but not as well as starling. You want nice webby stuff.

It makes a considerable difference what starling you have.Doubtless you have seen this;

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=16844.0

otter

I have a couple of skins from Cookshill, no source here so that I can see what i am buying  - seems its rather difficult to get good quality starling - methinks i need Hazel Joe, his net and a certain young red headed lad  :)

Traditionalist

Quote from: otter on January 08, 2013, 12:16:16 PM
I have a couple of skins from Cookshill, no source here so that I can see what i am buying  - seems its rather difficult to get good quality starling - methinks i need Hazel Joe, his net and a certain young red headed lad  :)

:)    It is difficult getting good stuff.  A lot of the stuff on offer is not really very good, but it never was.  Joe used traps for starlings, but I think you would have trouble if you tried that now in the UK.  As far as I am aware starlings are now protected birds, and the traps may be illegal anyway.  It gets harder all the time to keep up with various laws and regulations.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/s/starling/legal.aspx

otter

It is even harder when you have never handled a good skin  :D   Though after last night it became less stressful, having developed a very scientific approach  :roll:  - i.e. if the hackle cant take a little abuse when removing the fluff then it will certainly break on wrapping - rocket science, eh ?

Traditionalist

Quote from: otter on January 08, 2013, 12:39:13 PM
It is even harder when you have never handled a good skin  :D   Though after last night it became less stressful, having developed a very scientific approach  :roll:  - i.e. if the hackle cant take a little abuse when removing the fluff then it will certainly break on wrapping - rocket science, eh ?

Even the good ones wont take much abuse.  It is a bit finicky but you can use waterhen fibres as well.  Best to use a clear clip and trap the fibres in a split thread.  I use a "magic tool clip" for this;

http://www.eflytyer.com/tools/petitjean.html

but you can do it by hand if you are very careful.

This should explain the basic technique;

CDC Hackle Sulphur Dun - October 2010 - TPO Fly Of The Month

Traditionalist

You will find that flat shank sewing machine needles are better for splitting thread.  I use them in a tool like this ( Pin vice);

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/183-7852187-8348825?url=search-alias%3Darts-crafts&field-keywords=pin+vice

just an example, I bought the one's I use in a local sewing shop;

http://www.amazon.com/Organ-Sewing-Machine-Regular-Needles/dp/B0014HHFG0

Go To Front Page