News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Blue Winged Olive

Started by River Chatter, April 20, 2013, 07:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traditionalist

Quote from: Alan on April 21, 2013, 01:22:08 AM
looks like a deer hair emerger to me, they all do actually, does it make a difference? should i get blue winged deer hair emergers just in case?

Blue winged deer might be difficult. What you really need is the testicle hairs from a blue dragon;

These can also be quite difficult to acquire.

Traditionalist

Quote from: Alan on April 21, 2013, 01:37:54 AM
Thats not a real dragon :lol:

Indeed, one reason it is hard to get the testicle hairs.

If you don't much care what you use, then it doesn't make any difference what you use.  A deer hair emerger may well work, as will many other things.

Traditionalist

Sorry about that!  The links get messed up by the board software. This only happens on some links, depends on the format.

What you need to do is either use the actual address and type it in, or paste into your browser directly, clicking on it wont work. The actual address in this case  ( ignore the curly brackets)  is

{archive.org/details/BritishbirdsSuppThor}  For some unknown reason the board software adds link information which renders the link invalid.

bibio1

Looks like an ldo to me. The size variation can be incredible. I also think the cold has held them back this year both in terms of time and size.

A bit early for a ldo as well.

Cheers

Paul

Wildfisher

Highlander

To early for BWO so you are basically left with the three that are found early doors though the medium is a bit later.
Large Dark Olive, Medium Olive & lastly the one that others have overlooked The Iron Blue Dun.
My thoughts tend to be the darker rather than the medium simply due to time of year.The Iron Blue being a smaller fly than the other two & distinct inky blue wings.
Suggested reading
The Fly Fisherman's Entomological Pattern Book.........John Cawthorne    ISBN1-86126-320-1
& Matching The Hatch.... Pat O'Reilly     ISBN-13: 978-1853108228

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page