News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Which is the best fly?

Started by Traditionalist, February 10, 2013, 10:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traditionalist

Also an excellent example.  "Mixed" hatches can be very difficult as can determining the stage of the hatch, if you get it wrong you wont catch much.  On some lowland rivers I fish it can be very difficult to determine a hatch at all as there is so much stuff flying around, Sometimes the fish will take more or less anything in such circumstances, but most often they are keyed in to some specific fly and others will be far less successful. For maximum success you have to use the right fly. You might catch a few fish using any generally suitable seeming fly but you will catch the most with the right fly presented in the right manner.

It can take a long time before you have a selection of "right flies" for these circumstances, and of course you have to make the right choice at the right time in order to maximise your prospects.

Fishtales

There is nothing wrong with your approach as you are fishing a river that you know well and are prepared for what to expect. Most of my fishing is in lochs at all times of the year and in different places. There are some which I have fished more than once and not at the same time of year but the same flies are taken just the same. When fishing my local loch I know that in late June and into July the Large Red Sedge will be on the water accompanied by Caenis. In that situation I will remove the wet Iron Blue and put on my Caenis Nymph pattern, change the Dry Fly with the HillLoch nymph and fish them all at the surface. They will all catch fish at some point even during the day before the anything really starts hatching. It is the same with the Sepia Dun, Claret Dun and Olives, I am confident that at some point I will catch fish on the HillLoch Nymph or the wet Iron Blue Dun with the odd one taking the Dry Fly. I also know that those same flies will catch from April to September no matter what is hatching out on the water so I don't see the point in changing them.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Traditionalist

Well, it seems to me you are basically doing the same thing, you are using flies that you know will work. You are not just using some random fly from a box full of them in the fervent hope that it might. Of course the circumstances on hill lochs are different to those on a rich lowland river.  Indeed, every type of water is different and different approaches will often work better or as well. On a fairly barren beck you can usually reckon on the fish taking more or less any suitable fly avidly as long as it is presented properly. In such cases a couple of terrestrials are often enough to ensure success.

otter

Quote from: Mike Connor on February 11, 2013, 02:38:22 PM

It can take a long time before you have a selection of "right flies" for these circumstances, and of course you have to make the right choice at the right time in order to maximise your prospects.

Yep and I am running out of it too quickly  :D

Its important to be cognitive that each anglers expectations, their choices and their reasons for being on the river, what gives them pleasure, their skills sets and the types of waters they fish are as various as the flylife. 

Its good though to hear others views on such matters as things are rarely as black and white as we sometimes fool ouselves into believing they are.

The only absolute is that one can catch f all typing on a keyboard, cmon the first of march !!!

And to answer your question that started this thread, "Which is the best fly", .................. ask the bloody trout !!!!

Traditionalist

True enough, but it might help plan some fishes downfall! :)

Time is indeed a major concern in these things. I was fortunate enough to be able to spend a great deal of it on my obsession. Not many are quite so fortunate.

Behold the winding, dancing, sparkling stream,
ethereal, enchanting, as in some joyous youthful dream,
beheld, and then, the all consuming wish,
to carry home the stream´s elusive fish.

But dreams fade rapidly at last,  like youth.
Advancing age, and weariness, reveal the truth,
all the battles, and the fish you caught,
mean nothing much, it was not fish you sought.

Peace, contentment, and a happy life,
free of troubles, sickness, and all other strife,
fishing may indeed these earthly woes transcend,
as angler makes his way around another river bend.

`Tis sad that one may not just simply fish one´s life away,
ignoring all the cares and problems, always bright and gay,
but life intrudes most rudely, and forces one´s attention,
sometimes overpowering, defying comprehension.

Dreams are scattered then, borne away on evil winds,
as humdrum life the once great hope and joy rescinds,
ambition dies, one sinks in mournful contemplation,
of how things were, of each and every revelation.

Knowledge gained, seems worthless on reflection,
one is enchained for hours and days by useless circumspection.
a rod, a box of flies, once source of magical enjoyment,
now sit ignored, unused, no point in their deployment.

"Hope springs eternal", or so ´tis often lightly said,
even when the wings of spirit,  have feet of lead.
I will yet take my rod and flies to some bright stream again,
I know I will, all I do not know, is when?

or perhaps...............;

Lord, grant that I may catch a fish, regardless of the fly,
I really do deserve it Lord, just look how hard I try.
Let my retrieve be perfect Lord, strip or figure eight,
It could be worse you know Lord, I might be using bait!

When I hook the fish Lord, one quite large and strong,
dont let it fall off again, when I do something wrong,
When I finally need the net Lord, let it be at hand,
not in the car, or folded up, and very badly jammed.

Send a plague of locusts Lord, to eat the bankside weed
that my flyline may not tangle, causing some misdeed,
This is not much to ask Lord, I pray thee grant my wish,
You may strike me with a lightning bolt, but first grant me a fish!

I very seldom ask Lord, indeed I hardly ever pray,
but this is a special case, not common every day,
If I get this fish Lord, I wont leave you in the lurch,
indeed if it´s a good one, I might even go to church!

Malcolm

Waht is the best fly? I must tie a Peter Ross emerger......that should cover all the bases.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Otter Spotter

Quote from: Malcolm on February 11, 2013, 03:15:02 PM
I must tie a Peter Ross emerger.

With a big pinch of marabou for a tail, now you are talking! 'The dancing Peter'  :D
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Traditionalist

Quote from: Malcolm on February 11, 2013, 03:15:02 PM
Waht is the best fly? I must tie a Peter Ross emerger......that should cover all the bases.

You might try this as well, all the flies there have caught fish.

The dressing is;

Materials List: Hook: From size 16 to 6.

Thread: Black silk. 

Tail: Golden pheasant tippet or blood red feather. 

Body and Head: Black silk.(Some of the flies have a pinch of dubbed black seal fur body )

Rib: Fine silver wire. 

Hackle: Black hen.   

Wing: Grey duck or starling. Starling is better on smaller patterns.

otter

Quote from: Mike Connor on February 11, 2013, 03:36:31 PM
You might try this as well, all the flies there have caught fish.

and not a single black pennell in sight , so thats a hatch of pennellings

Traditionalist

Quote from: otter on February 11, 2013, 03:49:26 PM
and not a single black pennell in sight , so thats a hatch of pennellings

Blae & Blacks, for every stage of the hatch! :)

Little known but there is really no such thing as a Black Pennell, Pennell only invented three Pennells which he maintained would catch fish anywhere under any circumstances, quite a few people laughed at him. Here are those Pennell's, the yellow, brown, and green;

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=16985.msg181259#msg181259

He pissed Stewart off a lot with this nonsense as well. You can read about that here;

http://archive.org/search.php?query=Cholmondeley%20Pennell  have a look at " The Modern Practical Angler"

Some of Stewart's response;

http://archive.org/search.php?query=The%20practical%20angler%20stewart  have  a look at "A caution to anglers"

Go To Front Page