News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Another method

Started by Traditionalist, February 13, 2013, 09:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traditionalist

Works quite well for some things and you can use various feathers;

Tying an Extended Body Light Cahill on Vimeo

Wildfisher

Great find Mike. I'll have a go  at that, looks so simple.

Traditionalist

I have known about the method for a long time now, but I came across that video and thought it made things very clear.

Wood duck can be hard to source  but you can use partridge and a lot of other stuff. I made some up with ordinary hare  fur as dubbing and a light grey snowshoe wing ( as olives) and they worked very well indeed. Antron will also work. Of course the flies are dry in an instant and float forever. Quite robust and quickly and easily dressed. You cant get better translucent bodies than that!

Wildfisher

It was the robustness of the detached body that I wondered about, but nothing lasts forever.

Traditionalist

Quote from: admin on February 13, 2013, 10:20:03 AM
It was the robustness of the detached body that I wondered about, but nothing lasts forever.

They are surprisingly robust. Eventually something will break of course, but I have had quite a few good fish on one before a tail broke off. They still work without the tails.  The major advantage is that they are extremely quick and easy to dry and ready to use again.  They are also very good to cast. Turn over really well. Although he snips off a few stray fibres in the video I like to leave them on.

You can dye the bodies easily with various markers. Light partridge, grey duck breast and various other stuff works well.  You can even use ordinary hen hackle.

James

i seen that method in the last email i got from Hatches. though it was just a step x step in pictures.

the video makes it easier to follow. think i will be making a few up.

george387

Everyday is a school day and this made something so hard look so easy, definitely be trying that .

goggs

Have to tie up some of them.....look easy enough :lol: good video

goggs

scoobyscott

I've used this before really is simple. I was tying Mayfly for a swap though but recently seen it somewhere using cdc to imitate Olives, look awesome but apparently is a one fish fly. Will try one tonight and post pic.

bushy palmer

I know the fly you mean- it was called La Mirage and the whole fly was tied using one cdc feather- really clever.

Go To Front Page