News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Klinkhammer

Started by east wind, March 07, 2013, 06:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

east wind

Revolutionary might be a bit over the top, perhaps not. This pattern I remember was on most peoples must have list at one time, a new hook was designed with a scale of its own to cater for the trigger point.

I could never tie them, too fussy for my limited skills, so I bought some and those were way too bulky to my eye, attracting only a passing interest from troot. They have gradually disappeared from my fly box, I find over the last couple of seasons I have enough simpler alternatives to easily tempt a troot.

Anyone still rate them, been rescued by them or would never leave home without one.

Mac

Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Wildfisher

I still use them and like you I found the commercial ones  far  too bulky. Other than on lochs I have kind of lost faith in them over the past few years, but in NZ I still fish them a lot to good effect. Here on the lochs a black klink on a Partridge Klink hook is my favourite I have been using a poly wing version of Wyatt's DHE more and more on rivers  - I hate deer hair.

bibio1

I never use them in the truest sense. I use parachute flies on curved hooks but they are sparse and not heavily dressed. I also tend to favour cdc or snowshoe, which i think are far more effective.

Cheers

Paul

Part-time

Another vote for klinks (particularly black) as a top loch fly. I do fish them on rivers but find Dirty Polly, DHE and F Fly work better. Remember a few times on the Deveron that I couldn't get rising fish to look at a klink but as soon as I changed to a Dirty Polly they went for it - never remember a reverse of that situation.

I'm not much of a fly tier and hate tying klinks and wouldn't bother if I didn't need a few for the lochs - luckily I still have enough left from last season :)

east wind

I fish mainly rivers and I'm liking others are underwhelmed on running water as well , so that I won't be thinking I wish I had that Klink.

Never thought of using them on lochs, would think a black klinkhammer would be useful during a buzzer hatch as well, would it perform better than say a shuttlecock?

Looking around I see the price has dropped in line with cooncil patterns. On lochs would you fish them static, twitched or both?

Mac
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Wildfisher

Quote from: east wind on March 09, 2013, 12:00:43 PM
would think a black klinkhammer would be useful during a buzzer hatch as well, would it perform better than say a shuttlecock?
I'm sure that's the reason it works well. Don't know if it's better than a shuttlecock, I use it mainly because it's dead easy to spot the  wing post.

Go To Front Page